Stumbles when not warmed up - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Rick

Stumbles when not warmed up

Probably an easy fix with the choke but I'm not getting it right. Car is a 67 with a 327 and rochester quad carb. If I give it a lot of gas within the first 5 minutes of starting the car it stumbles and sometimes dies. The easy fix would be to wait until it is warmed up but sometimes I need to merge into traffic and can't wait. Any adjustments to try? Runs fine for hours after it is at operating temps.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 08:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Stumbles when not warmed up

I would suggest providing more information for the experts here (not me-I know enough to be dangerous) to help out. What type of choke, how is the carb set up and adjusted, engine timing specs, vacuum advance, what carb and is it new or old, rebuilt, more details on your typical starting routine?

The choke should activate with a single pump of the accelerator and then slowly open as the car warms up. Find out if that's happening first. The fast idle and choke need to work together for best cold starts and warmups and the idle and mixture screws need to be set correctly too.

Last edited by trland; Sep 10th, 14 at 08:19 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 08:13 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yes sounds like the chock is not adjusted properly and or the cold idle cam screw needs adjusting. (Its located on the left side by the choke.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
George

It could also be the accelerator pump is worn. Sometimes after a few years, especially if the car gets stored for months, the pumps will go bad as the rubber cups shrink or get hard. Then as it warms up it gets more pliable and starts working as correct. This happens even more these days with the ethanol in the gas. Ive had this happen to me with a rochester carb too.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Choke adjustment.. the engine when cold require a rich mixture and its too lean.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 02:15 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
It could also be the accelerator pump is worn. Sometimes after a few years, especially if the car gets stored for months, the pumps will go bad as the rubber cups shrink or get hard. Then as it warms up it gets more pliable and starts working as correct. This happens even more these days with the ethanol in the gas. Ive had this happen to me with a rochester carb too.
Very true.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Rick

Probably time for a rebuild on the carb. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 05:31 PM
John

Garage

I would just let it warm up 1st

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode