Big block - Broken rod? Rod cap? Crank? Or Bearing - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Phil

Big block - Broken rod? Rod cap? Crank? Or Bearing

Need some input on this. Went for a cruise the other day car had a slight knocking sound (very low) ever since i took it out from winter storage... Pushed it a little around a corner and then my 396 turned into a laundry machine...

What are your thoughts? Broken rod? Rod cap? Crank? Or Bearing?

Here is a video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4q...it?usp=sharing

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 01:11 AM
Senior Tech
George

Re: Big block - Broken rod? Rod cap? Crank? Or Bearing

Yank that Big Block OUT, do not run it for one more second.
My guess would be valve train related, What ever it is that engine needs to come out period.

482 New ZL1 Block
HR 250 @ 50 107 Lobe SEP
Pro Systems 4150
AFR 315s 11.3:1 Ported 163 Manifold
Auto gear M22W 410 12 Bolt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 05:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I agree with above , but first pull valve cover and do visual , if nothing loose. Pull it, get it on a stand and start looking for trouble.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Sounds like a pulley rubbing or balancer rubbing, 4 speed car or auto? Could it be possible clutch pack rubbing or fly wheel??? Just thinking out loud here. From the video, it seems to sound more of something rubbing causing the squeaking then a broken rod or crank issue.

The slight knock does have concern, but the squeaking sounds more external of the engine, the knock (unless smacking where the squeak/rubbing noise is coming from) could be piston smack or lifter issue.

Start simple, pull valve covers and take a look, see if you can isolate squeak to front or rear to see if it's in the tranny or balacer/fan or belt train and go from there.

From the sound of the video, the idle seems fine and does not sound if it's missing on firing order, I would think with a broken rod or crank, it would hiccup on firing, not always, but would think it would not idle that smooth.

Good luck and hope best case scenerio for you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 08:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darrell

First off is the engine running rough?, didn't appear to be, and how is the oil pressure? If you pull the oil fill cap can you hear a difference?

I personally would use a stethoscope to listen at the oil pan, valve cover, bell housing and front of engine accessories to try to narrow it down.

To me it sounds outside of the engine. A few more minutes idling may save you a bunch of time and if it is internal the damage is already done.

Good luck
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 08:24 AM
John

Garage

Sounds like from outside the motor.

Pull the belts off and run it for a few seconds to see if it alt, water pump or belt related.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Automatic? I would pull the inspection cover and look to make sure all flexplate to converter bolts are tight.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 08:59 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Sounds like upper valve train possible broken intake rocker. I agree pull valve covers , whats oil pressure reading?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Phil

Thanks for the response everyone. This really helps.

No intention of starting the car again. It is an automatic and last summer I had to have the starter rebuilt and re-installed. The cam was changed on the car when I had it re-freshed as well.

It never really seemed to run right. Trailering it over to someone next week to have them dig into the problem.

Trully hope its not a rebuild situation.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Phil, after watching the video again, ya might wanna check the motor mounts, if one was broke, the vibration of the motor could cause the squeak and the knock as the motor shakes in the cradle.

In the video, it does appear the squeak and knock to stay in time with the shake of the motor.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 11:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

Are your rocker arms the stamped steel factory type or aftermarket. I recall way back when I first got my Camaro, My dad & I overhauled the engine & my cousin donated his hydraulic cam out of his 427. Every once in a while a rocker arm would break & it sounded like the engine had come apart. I always carried an extra rocker arm or two after this happened twice. I agree with the above suggestions to pull the valve covers and inspect your rocker arms. Good luck

Go big, or stay Home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode