Stupid plug wire issue - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Stupid plug wire issue

I feel dumb as a post today.. Tried 4 different days ,,,just in case it just wasnt my day that day.

On the third plug back on this 350,,,passenger side,,,is the heat sender,,,dip stick tube,,,headers,,,and long,,very long spark plugs. NOW how the h-e-two sticks do you get a spark plug wire on this plug???

Has to be a 90 boot,,,have already cut boot down to wire,,,just zero room to get a boot around the corner and on the plug, Old plug wire was dancing spark all over the place and was too short to start with. Maybe previous owner cut it off a time or three.

69 Camaro but unknown newer 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Stupid plug wire issue

Third from back would be #3 near heat sender, but you said dip stick is in way? If dip stick in way, take it out , normally they will wiggle out.
If you cant get that plug wire from top, try from bottom, on a cold engine .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

You can also try a shorty plug there if your header is just too D&*# close to the plug. Here is a link to one that fits a 350. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ac...make/chevrolet

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

PA Camaro,,,Just what I was stopping in to ask,,,if hey made shorty plugs for headers.

Reading what I think I see it looks like they are AC Delco R-45. Your link mentioned those were for angled plugs but these seem straight to me.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 09:41 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

A lot of the NGK standard plugs are as short as Accel "shorty" plugs. You might want to look at these and measure them against an AC plug. NGK plugs come in as many, if not more, heat ranges than most other plugs. I use the NGK UR5 (#2771) plug in a couple of 350 CID engines with headers and have no clearance issues.

Keith
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 10:48 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

You might want to try laying a large enough socket on the header tube where it is close to the spark plug and hit with a hammer until you have enough room to connect the spark plug wire.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange 69 Camaro View Post
On the third plug back on this 350,,,passenger side,,,is the heat sender,,,dip stick tube,,,headers,,,and long,,very long spark plugs. 69 Camaro but unknown newer 350
Pass side dipstick would be '86 or later engine date?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

I have a correction to make I guess. the plug after I took it out is a AC Delco R-45-TS. Couldnt read the TS cause it was pointed the wrong way. just hope I can find a shorter plug that crosses with this one. later tonight I am going to a parts store and seeing what NGK plugs they have.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange 69 Camaro View Post
I have a correction to make I guess. the plug after I took it out is a AC Delco R-45-TS. Couldnt read the TS cause it was pointed the wrong way. just hope I can find a shorter plug that crosses with this one. later tonight I am going to a parts store and seeing what NGK plugs they have.
R 45TS is a short tipped plug, ask if they have Accel 276S, or anything in S series, this is in the same heat range. , you are looking for the outside differences, short body. Partsamerica or Autozone may have these .
This may help you put this stupid plug/wire issue to bed.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

I bought some Accel shorty plugs but still had to removed the header on that side of mine to swap the plugs. No issues with wire fitting with the shorty plugs though.

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulTick View Post
I bought some Accel shorty plugs but still had to removed the header on that side of mine to swap the plugs. No issues with wire fitting with the shorty plugs though.
Been there too, used a box end curved wrench from under the header, under the car, #7 & #3 were worst.

Don
TC # 349

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 14, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Take the wheel off and/ or as above.
there are a couple old threads on making specal tools to fit stuff...which is where elcheapo chinese ring/ opened ended spanners/ sockets are good... they cut , bend grind into shape... quailty tools for get event trying
A 9/16" ring bent in the right place for under the dizzy hold down
another for the oil pressure behind the dizzy
A bent and cut ring spanner on an old plug socket to get those couple hard to get plugs
A bent spark plug boot remover.
A ring spanner for one of the starter bolts with chunks ground out each side for bigger swing.
extensions tack welded together for bell housing bolts
A ring spanner moded for the rear exhaust manifold bolts.

Work hard at being lazy....

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 14, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Take the wheel off and/ or as above.
there are a couple old threads on making specal tools to fit stuff...which is where elcheapo chinese ring/ opened ended spanners/ sockets are good... they cut , bend grind into shape... quailty tools for get event trying
A 9/16" ring bent in the right place for under the dizzy hold down
another for the oil pressure behind the dizzy
A bent and cut ring spanner on an old plug socket to get those couple hard to get plugs
A bent spark plug boot remover.
A ring spanner for one of the starter bolts with chunks ground out each side for bigger swing.
extensions tack welded together for bell housing bolts
A ring spanner moded for the rear exhaust manifold bolts.

Work hard at being lazy....
I have a few of these that I've created out of cheap tools. Most for working around headers and such...

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode