Why would anyone leave the dizzy loose?! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Why would anyone leave the dizzy loose?!

I posted some time ago about my Camaro smelling of gas pretty bad. Most of us (including myself) assumed a carb problem was to blame.

However, I was showing Jane off (...my Camaro) to a guy in my unit who has a 2001 Mustang Cobra (he drooled appropriately). I even took him for a spin (he was in awe).

However, when I popped the hood and we were talking about the engine, I put my hand on the dizzy...it was loose. Sure, there was a dizzy clamp there, and the bolt was tight, but the clamp appeard to have been bent in such a way as to keep it in place and loose. The dizzy is something I'd never messed with (I don't get to work on her often as it is).

I can't figure out why the previous owner would have done such a thing. Now, she idled pretty ugly and smelled afoul with gas fumes, but when you hit the gas, she pushed you back in your seat appropriately.

Since, I've been working on the timing (and idle). I've almost got it down, though I know its a little off. She sounds better but has a bit less pull at top end and has a very slight run-on after she's been driven for a while. Nothing I shouldn't be able to take care of once I get the time to...

Anyone know why someone would leave the dizzy loose?

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Why would anyone leave the dizzy loose?!

Previous owner probably tighten the crap out of it, not paying attention. Go down to a parts house and see if they have a mr gasket or something equivalent , put it on, before you tighten it, set timing, gonna guess as I don't know your specs, say 10-14 at the crank and call it good. Having some run on, I would guess your total timing is way up there, maybe why you impress the ford and your motor is running on ie, Uncle Buck's Buick.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Previous owner probably tighten the crap out of it, not paying attention. Go down to a parts house and see if they have a mr gasket or something equivalent , put it on, before you tighten it, set timing, gonna guess as I don't know your specs, say 10-14 at the crank and call it good.
Thanks Don. I'm at 10 now, I'm going to fiddle with it a little, maybe try 12, then 14 if no improvement.

I went and got a Mr. Gasket, it wouldn't fit well due to the intake manifold thats on there. I used the bolt, washer and lockwasher from the Mr. Gasket set and took a hammer to the old clamp. Woked perfectly. I kept the Mr. Gasket clamp, in the case there was any issue with re-using the old one. I'd just have to modify the new clamp to work.

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
Aluminum drive shaft

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulTick View Post
Thanks Don. I'm at 10 now, I'm going to fiddle with it a little, maybe try 12, then 14 if no improvement.

I went and got a Mr. Gasket, it wouldn't fit well due to the intake manifold thats on there. I used the bolt, washer and lockwasher from the Mr. Gasket set and took a hammer to the old clamp. Woked perfectly. I kept the Mr. Gasket clamp, in the case there was any issue with re-using the old one. I'd just have to modify the new clamp to work.
Been there ,done that in the middle of nowhere. Over time you may need to replace it with a good heavy solid clamp, most are just flashy chrome plated tin.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Maybe the clamp was actually upside down?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
No, it was on the right way. This particulare one was shaped like a "v" or a "Y"; it had two feet on the end with ribs to crasp the dizzy's flange. It was feet down, but not at enough of an arch for the feet to make proper contact.

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
Aluminum drive shaft
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
and they breed?

Don
TC # 349

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode