Excessive Vibrating - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Kurt

Excessive Vibrating

Ive got this late 70's 454 in my 69 right now, i dont know much about it but its got a four bolt main a small cam with open chamber heads.

Was doing some tests over the weekend and noticed that when revving or going above 2,000 rpm it has some crazy shake to the car.

My question is wheather or not its normal since its a big block or if it may be because of the spacers in between the motor mounts for the sway bar and 7 quart oil pan.

The mounts are all new and aftermarket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 07:57 AM
John

Garage
Re: Excessive Vibrating

Crazy shaking is not normal. I'd start by checking the balancer and motor mounts

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 08:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

454 is an external balance motor? , thus the balancer and possible flywheel components need to be checked. You did not say what the drive train was so I could suspect there is still a counter weight on the flex plate?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As said, no shakes, and needs counterweighted on the flex plate if automatic, or weighted flywheel - more material in one area - if manual.
The flex plate should have a weight welded to it.
The harmonic balancer up front, will have an inconsistent shape about the outer ring physical shape.
Another item for vibration would be a cheap aftermarket torque convertor.

The above statements, mine and earlier posts, are true if the engine itself runs smooth(?) meaning no missing cylinders during the power stroke of the cycle - no missing ign fire and no burnt valves or valves staying open.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech
Phil

I am not sure what the issue is, but my wife wants to know if she can go for a ride.

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 14, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Kurt

It's been a while but time for an update.

Took the inspection cover off, and come to find out there was this aftermarket flywheel with no weights on it. So ordered a new flywheel, sent the atranny to get checked out since it was already off the car and then went and got a hurst competition plus shifter.

Anyway, got everything back in the car, hopefull that this would also fix the clutch problem but was soon mistaken once the car was back together.

Question is for a 454 is there a certain clutch yoke or size of the throw out berring thats required?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 14, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

What specific problem are you having with the clutch? Details help us help you. Are you using the manual clutch linkage with Z-bar or hydraulic clutch?

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! Jeremy Clarkson

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 14, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshake View Post
What specific problem are you having with the clutch? Details help us help you. Are you using the manual clutch linkage with Z-bar or hydraulic clutch?
Right so im having trouble disengaging now. i was able to drive the car but i would have to really force it in to get it into first and if tried reverse id grind it up so i dont think that i am able to fully disengage. i know i have the correct clutch rod so im wondering if its the right zbar i guess or clutch yoke

i have clutch linkage with zbar.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

If the z bar is stock, the only changes that can be made assuming you have the correct fork are the ball stud and throw out bearing. Jody just hooked me up with the correct ones based on bellhousing and flywheel. Are you able to use the correct adjuster rod? I needed a longer one, that told Jody that my geometry was wrong, correct stud and throw out bearing and all is good.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Ive got a 68 with a big block and it sounds like we are fighting the same issue!
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=306745

Please keep me posted on what you find!!!

68 RS/SS 496 T56 6 Speed Tuxedo black w/ white bumblebee. Strange Dana 60, Spicer 3.73 Helical Gears
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 14, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxquattro View Post
Ive got a 68 with a big block and it sounds like we are fighting the same issue!
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=306745

Please keep me posted on what you find!!!

mine was because i had the wrong flywheel. check the inspection cover, big blocks have a weighted flywheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode