383 flat tappet breakin - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

383 flat tappet breakin

I spent a lot of time over the past few days going through all (most?) of the oil posts regarding zinc.
I ended up buying a case of Brad Penn 10W-30 oil that should be here tomorrow.

Assuming I get far enough along to actually start this newly built engine in the next couple of weeks, what do I need to do to break it in properly.

I've read/heard two different schools of though on this:
1) Run the engine for a minimum of 20mins at a minimum of 2500rpm
and
2) Constantly run the motor at varying speeds, preferrably driving on back roads for 30mins or so, the idea being that you don't want it to run at the same RPM for an extended time.

Obviously at odds with each other.

The engine will likely be ready to start before the car is "driveable", so should I wait and do #2, or can I start it up in the garage and break it in without being on the road quite yet.

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Anne

Re: 383 flat tappet breakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
I spent a lot of time over the past few days going through all (most?) of the oil posts regarding zinc.
I ended up buying a case of Brad Penn 10W-30 oil that should be here tomorrow.

Assuming I get far enough along to actually start this newly built engine in the next couple of weeks, what do I need to do to break it in properly.

I've read/heard two different schools of though on this:
1) Run the engine for a minimum of 20mins at a minimum of 2500rpm
and
2) Constantly run the motor at varying speeds, preferrably driving on back roads for 30mins or so, the idea being that you don't want it to run at the same RPM for an extended time.

Obviously at odds with each other.

The engine will likely be ready to start before the car is "driveable", so should I wait and do #2, or can I start it up in the garage and break it in without being on the road quite yet.

Jim
Here is the breakin procedure from Crane Cams :

http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/breakin/548e.pdf

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Ty

I have done about 8 motors in recent times and have always used the same oil you bought. I have done it the same way each time 20 min at 2500 rpm.

Be sure to prime the oil pump first.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 09:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

I agree with Ty on this one Jim, what he suggests should be fine when you decide to bring it to life.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 09:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Check with the company that you got the cam from for THEIR instructions.

I am from the "vary the RPMs" school - which is very similar to what Crane says to do in that link above.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I was told to use joe gibbs hot rod 15-50
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post

I am from the "vary the RPMs" school - which is very similar to what Crane says to do in that link above.
It's a Crane...and I went through their break in instructions. They say to go straight to 3,000rpm, get it running smooth, and then vary it from 3,000 down to 1,500, and back to 3,000 for 20-30mins.

My neighbors are going to LOVE that

Jim

Jim

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 11:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

From 7. in the break in instruction from Crane above, these are what it says...

Start the engine and immediately bring to 3,000 rpm. Timing should be adjusted, as closely as possible, to reduce excessive heat or load during break-in. Get the engine running fairly smoothly and vary the engine speed from 1500-3000 RPM in a slow, to moderate, acceleration/deceleration cycle.

During this time, be sure to check for any leaks and check out any unusual noises. If something doesn’t sound right, shut the engine off and check out the source of the noise.

Upon restart, resume the high idle speed cycling. Continue the varying “break-in” speed for 20 - 30 minutes. This is necessary to provide proper lifter rotation to properly mate each lifter to its lobe.

The important thing is to vary the RPMs in a slow to moderate cycle.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Use Joe Gibbs BR oil for your breakin. They also sell BR30 breakin oil.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Use Joe Gibbs BR oil for your breakin. They also sell BR30 breakin oil.
I bought this specifically for the zinc content:

Brad Penn 009-7150-12PK 10W-30 Partial Synthetic Racing Oil - 1 Quart Bottle, (Case of 12)

Only concern is that it's "partial synthetic"...

***edit***
Went back and found Brad Penn Break In oil...straight 30W, so bought 4 quarts of that. Will used the 10W-30 after it's been on the road for awhile.

Jim

Jim

Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Only way cam gets oil on lobe is from the crank throwing it up. Overfill the crankcase ONLY DURING BREAK IN. Put 10 qts in it.

Chris

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech
Cory

making sure the engine fires right up helps alot too! grinding away over and over wipes off cam and lifter lube!! a little too much timing is better then not enough (red headers, and gets hot)! also be prepared, have a plug in fan ready, enough fuel, timing light hooked up, a few helpers to watch for leaks. give one person the job to watch oil pressure gauge and instruct them to shut off motor is oil pressure drops for some reason. if for some reason it needs to be shut off, this is not bad. just dont let it idle. on restart let it come up in rpms right way again.... hope this helps make it smoother for you!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 07:35 AM
Retired
Jim

Here is another great break in oil to consider and equally great assembly lube

AMSOIL break in oil

Assembly Lube

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Here is another great break in oil to consider and equally great assembly lube

AMSOIL break in oil

Assembly Lube
Assembly lube is already in there, albeit it's 4yrs old
And my Brad Penn break in oil arrives Monday.

Jim

Jim

Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

I have always covered the cam lobes and lifters with Molycote assembly paste and used a break-in oil when available. I also use a big blower that blows air into the radiator to simulate highway speed air and do the break in sitting in the driveway.

Back before I knew about the molycote we would use STP oil treatment and coat the cam & lifters with that. Cannot remember ever having a problem doing it this way either. We did use a drill attachment to prime the oil pump and get lube up to the top end a bit as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode