New Valve Covers New Mess - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
x2

New Valve Covers New Mess

I have a 68 327 mostly original engine. Aftermarket valve covers were pitted to hell from previous restoration done 7 years ago. I replaced with matching orange valve covers. The pitted ones had two oil breather push ins. One was just a push in and the other had a push in attached to a pcv valve where the hose just ran nowhere.

Ok so i replaced with new covers, put in 1 new push in oil breather and left the other open (kit only came with 1). Started the car ran a little bit and it was leaking oil pretty bad. I am assuming its because of the removed oil breather with the pcv valve.

Since I was going to replace the older pcv valve, was the setup correct with the hose going nowhere or should that be running into the carb?

Attached is my carb setup now. I think that there is a hose now from the carb going down the engine for a draft setup (hose on the right).

I see an available port on the carb, the right one. Would I be able to run a hose from the pcv valve to this port on the carb or will that not solve anything.

Im hoping that the sudden major oil leak was due to me removing the older pcv valve setup.

Carb setup:

This was the pcv valve with nowhere hose I removed:

Appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: New Valve Covers New Mess

The far left port is your ported vacuum, the far right is your manifold vacuum, and the one in the middle should be going to your PCV.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
x2

The hose in the middle is going down the engine. I imagine for a draft setup. Should I leave it as is or take that out and run it to the pcv valve?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

When you say oil was everywhere, I'm assuming you are meaning thru the valve cover hole that you left open correct? Were your new covers baffled? If the hose was going from the car to nowhere, then yes, I would hook it back up to the PCV in the valve cover. Make sure that you have the correct PCV for your car.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
John

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...oad+draft+1967

1969 X11 Super Sport Coupe - L48 350cid/300hp - MC1 HD 3 Speed Muncie - Olympic Gold & Black - Numbers Matching
Build Thread:

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
x2

Actually was not leaking from the hole. I was thinking maybe from the valve somewhere. It was not leaking like that previously. The new covers are baffled.

Just to clarify, remove the old hose from the carb that is going down the engine and connect a new hose to the pcv?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 07:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Yes the hose from the carb should be attached to the PCV valve. If it is set up like a draft I would call it a vacuum leak

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Middle hose to the PCV. Open filter on the other cover unless your air cleaner has a hose connection with a metal flame arrestor.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 14, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

I would use manifold vacuum, make the one you are not using is plugged

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Your photos don't really show your valve cover situation.

The factory setup is usually the least difficult to pull off.

Get the proper VC grommet for a push-in PCV at the front of the driver's VC. Buy a 90 degree PCV from the store, push it into the VC and run a length of hose from the PCV to the middle front fitting of your carburetor.

For the passenger side (VC hole to the rear), get the proper VC grommet for a push-in air cleaner base elbow. Get the elbow and it's corresponding short length of hose and connect to air cleaner base. If you don't HAVE a factory style air cleaner base that accepts this type of connection; then use a regular push-in VC breather that doesn't have a hose fitting.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
x2

Based on the responses looks like it is recommended to ditch the draft hose and run a hose from the pcv to the middle plug on the carb where the draft hose is currently plugged in to.

Since i did not post pictures of the current valves

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

The driver's side VC has the hole in the right spot. The passenger side will work with your particular fuel line arrangement, but most folks flip the VC so the push-in breather is in the rear.

The rubber fuel hose is not ideal, but OK. The glass fuel filter is not.

The coil looks a little floppy with it's firewall mount and the electrical taped extended coil connections could be improved (especially with a glass fuel filter nearby). Any reason you didn't mount the coil to the intake manifold OEM style using stock length coil connections?

I also see you made the trip all the way to the front of the engine for the oil pressure fitting. There is a more convenient port at the back of the engine near the distributor (driver's side). If you are using the gauge in conjunction with the idiot light sender, use a T connector.

You do have a cap for your right most front carb vacuum fitting, right?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Yep. Your PCV will plug right into the vacant hole in the VC, with a hose running from it to the center port on the carb.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
The driver's side VC has the hole in the right spot. The passenger side will work with your particular fuel line arrangement, but most folks flip the VC so the push-in breather is in the rear.

The rubber fuel hose is not ideal, but OK. The glass fuel filter is not.

The coil looks a little floppy with it's firewall mount and the electrical taped extended coil connections could be improved (especially with a glass fuel filter nearby). Any reason you didn't mount the coil to the intake manifold OEM style using stock length coil connections?

I also see you made the trip all the way to the front of the engine for the oil pressure fitting. There is a more convenient port at the back of the engine near the distributor (driver's side). If you are using the gauge in conjunction with the idiot light sender, use a T connector.

You do have a cap for your right most front carb vacuum fitting, right?
Thanks for the tips. This was the setup the was done when i purchased the car 8 years ago. I cant take credit for any of the work that was done.

The fuel filter was leaking at some point a few years ago. I doubt it was the original but it looked old enough to be so i kept it anyways. I replaced with the crappy glass one on a whim and never got around the replacing with an oem one. It is leaking again so i need to get it done.

I actually dont have a cap for the front carb vacuum fitting. I actually never really paid attention to it till you pointed it out. I guess that is something that needs to be addressed.

Thanks again for all the input guys.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 09:27 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Is it possibly that is an older block as in 67 or older with the pcv hole in back by the distributor? Just asking since the original pcv hose was going back to that area. It would not hurt to check and see it their is a fitting on back of engine next to the oil pressure sending unit. I cannot imagine you have been running it that way for 8 years with open vacuum hose, it had to of been connect to something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode