Replacing 350 RamJet: how involved to get more power? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
Replacing 350 RamJet: how involved to get more power?

So in the Spring i bought a 69 and have a RamJet 350 with Tremec 5 speed transmission. Only 2000 miles and am just not happy with the power. I have a 2010 SS as well and am probably used to the rocket like power of it.

I personally didn't put the Ramjet 350 in, but I wonder how involved/expensive it would be to have a larger engine put in, and wonder if the tremec transmission would handle it.

Is there anything I can add to the 350 for a fair amount more power? I'm not racing it, but I don't want to be overpowered by a Ford mustang II

Would a 383 be much of a step up or would a 502 ramjet be an option.

Not sure if these questions are too vague, but just pondering options for next year...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 12:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Replacing 350 RamJet: how involved to get more power?

Never been much of a fan of the word RamJet as I suspect its just an intake set up, injection? Really does not strike fear into anyone with a super charged mustang as that's what most are that are teasing the Camaros.

You could use the same ramjet for a larger sbc crate motor, but going to 502 or even 572 is going to require a different induction setup . Carb will be fine.

How ever , sounds like you are searching, consider LS motors? They are becoming cheaper turn key with wiring and computer and they do perform well.

https://sdparts.com/details/chevrole...mance/19257456

https://sdparts.com/details/chevrole...mance/19301360

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I love the fuel injection as there is no real warm up period and it's been reliable, but just not enough uhmph. I would love to put an LS3 in my 69. Beyond popping the old engine out and putting the $8K engine and $1.2k accelerator/install package is there anything I'm missing? Seems to simple/easy to be true? Why would someone go for a 502 ramjet over a LS3 engine? I guess this is the start of my research on this project.

Will a tremec 5 speed handle the extra HP?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 01:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
I love the fuel injection as there is no real warm up period and it's been reliable, but just not enough uhmph. I would love to put an LS3 in my 69. Beyond popping the old engine out and putting the $8K engine and $1.2k accelerator/install package is there anything I'm missing? Seems to simple/easy to be true? Why would someone go for a 502 ramjet over a LS3 engine? I guess this is the start of my research on this project.

Will a tremec 5 speed handle the extra HP?
I friend of mine has a 66 nova with the LS3 carb and a tko, it handled it well , but a tko in a nova the floor had to be trimmed. They ended up added a Heidt ProG type IR rear end.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Replacing 350 RamJet: how involved to get more power?

What is your rear end gearing? With a TKO that has overdrive I would guess you should run 3.73:1 gears. You might want to check with GM, to see if a cam change is possible. I think with that fuel injection that it is best to leave it alone. Look at what gears you have.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Just reading up on the Ramjet 350, there seems to be no interchangeability or upgrades to this package, what you see is what you get. No cam or head changes.

Looks like a 502 or 572 in his future for a "little more power"

Don
TC # 349

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 14, 03:52 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

TTwo ...
First off the 502 Ramjet will not fit without major modifications to the underside of the hood. Any well built BBC will give you a TON of torque and HP, my 496BBC that I just sold made 625tq/600hp to the crank and with my TKO600/3:55 rears, my buddy in his 2012 Z06 carbon edition could not pull away on me. This is the cheapest way to get big power ... Throw in a hot cam and a MFPI setup from Holley or fast into a 502 and youve got a beast of a motor. To match that power with a LS3 your now into 'boosted' applications.

Just my 2 cents ...
Steve

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 14, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

What kind of power do you want? I would not make more than 600HP and put it in front of that trans.

Chris

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 14, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I think under 500 would be fine, but just more responsive and quick engine than this. Can a Ramjet 350 be 'tuned'? maybe that would also be a good option to try and then change gearing or the rearend.

I have the manual tremec 5 speed, I belive the rear end is 3.73, but I want to verify that. It seems that my gearing feels like I'm shifting far too often just to get to 60mph.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 14, 01:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Yes, there are folks that can tune the engine. If you are mechanically inclined and good with a computer, you can do it yourself with a kit. However, unless you have made some changes, i.e. camshaft, different heads or compression, you won't see huge gains just by tuning. Tuning would be great if you added a supercharger or a couple of turbos, but you are getting into more expense that way, and would probably be happier with a big block, if fuel economy isn't a concern.

These guys offer a kit, and you tune with a laptop. https://www.obd2allinone.com/ramjettuning.asp

From the site: The correct way to tune your Ramjet is to purchase our MEFIburn package and custom tune your engine in your car, collecting real data and tuning with a wide band O2 sensor to get your air/fuel ratios exactly where they should be under all operating conditions.

If you do not have the capability to do this or do not want to purchase the full MEFIburn package, we can give you a best guess calibration based on your inputs and our experience with other Ramjet setups. Obviously since we are not driving and collecting data from your vehicle we can not guarantee any calibration or modifications we make. That being said, almost any stock MEFI based Ramjet system will benefit from having the calibration modified to provide more optimal air/fuel ratios.

Lynn
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 14, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I may try the tune first and consider changing the gearing, but if not noticably different will likely go for the ls3 setup!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 14, 11:59 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

The last time I looked at the Ramjet 350, it appeared to me to be a really basic 350 with the only attraction being the EFI setup. Not sure if they changed them recently but nothing really impressive the last time I looked. If you want to stay SBC I would go with a 383, or you can do one of the 406/427/434 etc setups if you want to go really big with a SBC and have most of your existing stuff work. Going to either a BBC or an LS engine is going to require a bunch of small parts to make the conversion, and its the small stuff that adds up.

Personally if you like the Ramjet intake setup, I would consider a 383. You could likely build up a 383 and swap the EFI stuff over, thus not having to modify much about your car. The only limitation would be the HP capacity of that EFI setup, not sure what the ceiling is.

Its worth mentioning that thus far I have always wanted a period correct engine when I popped the hood. But I am now willing to admit that if I built a Camaro starting over today, I would either go LS3, or if I could swing it, LS7.

1969 Z28 Clone/383 SBC/Holley #4779 750DP w/HP center section/Tremec TKO600/Dutchman 9"/Pypes 3" race pro/Doug's D368/ 17x8, 17x9 VWW/Nitto 555
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

The ramjet 350 has pretty good torque across the entire range, but just not as responsive and I'd like to see in this car. Again I think I'm spoiled with my LS3 in my 2010SS. Unless it is rediculous, money for little parts shouldn't be a problem. I'd rather do it right and can even sell the ramjet 350 to someone else. I just would like to be able to use this transmission if possible.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

What are you Trying to do with your 69? 350 hp in a 69 will walk away from your 2010..... I own both. The 2010 is 1000 lbs heavier. For <2k in parts, your current motor should be faster. Heads, cam and injectors.

67 rs/ss
381 sbc 11:1 AFR Heads Holley 950 EFI
DSE Quadralink

"From what I have replaced in pursuit of more, I could have built another one."
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 05:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Seriously, if you weren't so far away, I would consider making an offer. That engine would be perfect to put in my 49 Studebaker dump truck. Right now, it has a 100 hp straight six flat head.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode