Help me value my engine... LS Swap Coming! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Help me value my engine... LS Swap Coming!

Hey guys, I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on an LS3/T56 swap in my Camaro and, in consideration of funds needed to get me where I want to be to move forward, I'm trying to figure out what would be a fair amount of $ to expect to get out of my current engine and transmission.

Problem is, I don't know the exact mileage or have documentation for specs on the engine, as I bought the car with this set up and, while the guy could tell me everything about the motor, I have no way to know he was telling the truth and, therefore, no way to confidently tell a buyer what's in it.

What I do know is that it runs perfect and the amount of power it makes, as I just had it dyno'd. To my knowledge, it's a 383 stroker with 9.5:1 compression, dart iron heads, comp hydraulic roller cam 235/249 duration @ .050 and .522/.509 lift, Weiand Stealth Intake, Demon 750cfm carb and Hedman Headers... All of which would go with it. It has great compression in all cylinders. When dyno'd, it made 340 RWHP/385RWTQ, running pretty rich, and had an extremely aggressive torque curve. The owner told me it had about 1,000 miles on it when I bought it and I've put about 500 on it.

That being said, what would you value this engine at, knowing there's strong compression in all cylinders and being able to see a dyno sheet on it? I know most of us, myself included, wouldn't buy an engine without knowing everything about it but, even so, what would you ask for this engine if you were in my shoes?

Thanks, in advance, for your insights!

1967 Camaro "Yellowjacket"
383 Stroker
M21 4-Speed
12-Bolt Posi w/3.31s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 11:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Help me value my engine... LS Swap Coming!

Well, first thing I would do is know all about the engine I could before I tried to advertise it v- nothing worse that not getting that "warm-fuzzy" from your first contact with a seller because he can't answer common questions ...

Then throw it up on local Craigs with a fantastic write-up for what you think you'd want and hope some wide-eyed kid yearning for more HP see's it and shows up with all his allowance and/or his parents check book

Seriously ... I'd at least do a compression/leak-down test to be sure it is somewhat mechanically healthy before representing as such.
Also make sure it has no visible oil leaks or other instant turn-offs that the buyer is gonna see first time you open the hood/garage door to show it off.

Around here (Bay Area) I see them on local sites for anywhere from @$2k up to $7k - and I would NEVER pay anywhere near $7k for a used 383
You can a get a new 383 long-block for under $3k from just about any local builder in street-build trim.
And many of them, and lots of on-line providers, have turn-key street units for @$2k more than that ...
So a 'used' unit almost has to be a 'deal' before most would even consider - let alone buy if the owner knows little to nothing about it

As always JMHO's

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Re: Help me value my engine... LS Swap Coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Well, first thing I would do is know all about the engine I could before I tried to advertise it v- nothing worse that not getting that "warm-fuzzy" from your first contact with a seller because he can't answer common questions ...

Then throw it up on local Craigs with a fantastic write-up for what you think you'd want and hope some wide-eyed kid yearning for more HP see's it and shows up with all his allowance and/or his parents check book

Seriously ... I'd at least do a compression/leak-down test to be sure it is somewhat mechanically healthy before representing as such.
Also make sure it has no visible oil leaks or other instant turn-offs that the buyer is gonna see first time you open the hood/garage door to show it off.

Around here (Bay Area) I see them on local sites for anywhere from @$2k up to $7k - and I would NEVER pay anywhere near $7k for a used 383
You can a get a new 383 long-block for under $3k from just about any local builder in street-build trim.
And many of them, and lots of on-line providers, have turn-key street units for @$2k more than that ...
So a 'used' unit almost has to be a 'deal' before most would even consider - let alone buy if the owner knows little to nothing about it

As always JMHO's
Well, the only way I'll be able to know more about it is to tear it down and, honestly, I'd rather take a lot less money than take the time to do that!

As for the compression test, that's been done and it looks really healthy... I supposed I could do a leak down, as well - Good thought! I'm also thinking I'll put it up for sale before it's pulled from the car so the buyer can start it up and hear it run before agreeing to buy it. The most I'm expecting/hoping to get out of it is $3k. If I can get that, I'll be ecstatic!

383 Stroker
M21 4-Speed
12-Bolt Posi w/3.31s

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 02:16 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I let my old 406ci SBC go for $2K and was gone in a week.
It had a known ET/MPH in my car, showed the guy the oil pressure, let him hear it run.
It has switched hands a few times now, and the "new" owner seen me at the track with a few questions about it.
I shouldda/wouldda/couldda held out for more....but I wanted a quick sale.

This is what you have to come to terms with....how fast you want it gone ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
I let my old 406ci SBC go for $2K and was gone in a week.
It had a known ET/MPH in my car, showed the guy the oil pressure, let him hear it run.
It has switched hands a few times now, and the "new" owner seen me at the track with a few questions about it.
I shouldda/wouldda/couldda held out for more....but I wanted a quick sale.

This is what you have to come to terms with....how fast you want it gone ?
Great reference - Thank you! Did you know what the internals consisted of, or was that just based on the ET/MPH, oil pressure and hearing it run? My engine's got great oil pressure, as well; runs around 50psi at 2,500 rpm on the freeway.

I'm not a real big hurry to sell the engine. Want to do the swap in February and will probably put the engine up for sale around the beginning of December. It won't be pulled until the LS is going in, in February either, so that may be a bit of a challenge with the buyer.

383 Stroker
M21 4-Speed
12-Bolt Posi w/3.31s
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

If you'll leave it in the car so a buyer "can hear it run" and actually take them for a drive it will be a snap to sell once you have a price figured out. I did this with a 350 out of my truck and it really reassures a buyer.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 03:57 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy67 View Post
Great reference - Thank you! Did you know what the internals consisted of, or was that just based on the ET/MPH, oil pressure and hearing it run? My engine's got great oil pressure, as well; runs around 50psi at 2,500 rpm on the freeway.

I'm not a real big hurry to sell the engine. Want to do the swap in February and will probably put the engine up for sale around the beginning of December. It won't be pulled until the LS is going in, in February either, so that may be a bit of a challenge with the buyer.
Yes, knew the combo fairly well, only due to me re-building it a number of times....mainly new rings and bearings every so often.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 05:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

If you wrote down the number of the compression test, print those numbers out for a prospective buyer.
Forget the leak down if compression is good and consistent across the board. Most buyers won't even know the difference between those two tests, and honestly, results can vary from one tester to another, so you are really only looking to see if you have one cyl out of whack with the others. If you did, it would likely show up on the compression test.

Best idea yet: "I'm also thinking I'll put it up for sale before it's pulled from the car so the buyer can start it up and hear it run before agreeing to buy it. The most I'm expecting/hoping to get out of it is $3k. If I can get that, I'll be ecstatic!"

Describe it exactly as you have described it here. You have no reason to believe it isn't as it was represented to you. Price it at $3500. Most buyers will want to negotiate you down a bit, so $3k would be a good compromise. If it doesn't sell quick, reduce the price.

DON'T put "price negotiable" in the listing. We ALL assume it is negotiable.

Good luck. Should sell easy.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode