PCV Question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage
PCV Question

I have read a lot of information on here about the pcv system. Here's my question or thought: I have a 67 327 that I have installed an Edelbrock RPM manifold and chevy valve covers with grommet holes. I have hooked up a pcv valve in the passenger side (from what I read here it should be on the drivers side) and vented that to the base of the carb in front. The drivers side is a breather cap. I ran a hose from the vent tube in back to the air cleaner which does spew smoke.
My car is pumping out a lot of smoke and always thought it was my rings but my compression averages around 150. The heads are new, so I don't believe it's valve seals and some plugs are oil soaked. Other than the pcv valve hooked up to the passenger side instead of the drivers side would you feel this is sufficient. Does anyone have a part number for what pcv valve I should have, I think I just bought a Purolator one for a chevy that fit my cover. Would this setup cause heavy smoke on acceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 07:51 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Re: PCV Question

When you installed the intake did you verify that the can that is in the lifter valley was present? If it was not there you will get a large amount of oil vapor from the pcv rear outlet. I have plugged the back hole with a freeze plug before and just used the valve cover holes for a pcv system. Use one cover for a breather and other side side for pcv it really does not matter which side is used.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 14, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

The road draft tube looks like this (thanks to Chevelles.com):

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 14, 03:48 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

May be time to do a leak down test ? I think that will give you a better incite to your motors condition.
And yes, should be baffled...even if it's only the grommet.

Even if the heads are new...seals could have been torn or installed wrong ?

When do you see the smoke ?
on start up
on the gas
on deceleration

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 14, 05:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Block off the vent tube at the back of the block and forget about it and the baffle can(commonly called a soup can) shown in the lifter valley in the photo above. Use a pcv valve rated for a low hp 327 to start with in one valve cover and a breather in the other. That should be all you need for pcv. If you are getting actual smoke, not oil vapor out the rear vent tube that seems strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 14, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

I don't remember if that draft tube was there, I installed it a few years ago. Guess it won't hurt to shut that off. It's probably oil vapor coming from that. The valve covers have baffles which is a p.i.a. to add oil.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 14, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg67rs View Post
The valve covers have baffles which is a p.i.a. to add oil.
Use a plastic soda bottle with the bottom cut out as a funnel. It'll push down into the breather grommet. Also pull out the PCV valve on the other side when pouring in oil so air can escape easier or else if the bottle/funnel fills up it'll go GLUG and spit oil at you.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 14, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Without a baffle under the PCV inlet the vacuum will suck oil out of the motor and burn it. Factory valve covers have a large oil separator baffle under the PCV grommet to keep liquid oil in the car and just evacuate the fumes.

In 1967 the road draft tube hole is present in the block, and the soup can was retained from earlier road draft days to filter the even thicker liquid oil concentrations out of the fumes being sucked into the Positive Crankcase Valve by way of the dome with a hose that bolted to the back of the block to feed the PCV.

Did I read correctly that you somehow adapted your oil fill tube onto an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap manifold?

Big Dave
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 14, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

No, because I changed out my manifold I now have to put oil in thru the valve covers, which because of the baffle there makes it very difficult and slow to add oil. Wondering if there's something else I could have done.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 14, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Looking at a picture of that intake manifold I do not think a hole for an oil fill tube can be drilled. The only other thing to do is glue the grommet to the breather cap so it will pull out to change oil. If the valve cover has a baffle on the underside remove it and get a baffled grommet. This is for the breather cap side not the PCV side.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 14, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

No, because I changed out my manifold I now have to put oil in thru the valve covers, which because of the baffle there makes it very difficult and slow to add oil. Wondering if there's something else I could have done.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 14, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

If you eliminated the oil fill tube at the front of the intake manifold, you need a 2 hole valve cover for the driver's side (front hole w/baffle for PCV, rear hole for twist off oil fill). Plumb the PCV to the large full vacuum port on your carb.

The passenger side VC will just have one baffled hole for either a push in breather (not ideal) or an elbow connector to the base of the air cleaner (more ideal, factory style).

If you truly have a 67 block as pictured above, just remove the Dixie cup at the rear of the block and drive a block plug in its place to seal it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode