Dual line hook up question? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chuck

Dual line hook up question?

Will the factory dual feed gas line from a 69 Z work with a street avenger carb on a 350 small block? I think it should....if it does what about a filter? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Dual line hook up question?

I believe if both carburetors have metering blocks on both the primary (front) and secondary (back) of the carburetor, the duel line "should" fit.

As to the fuel filter, the stock setup was an inline 3/8" filter inserted in the rubber fuel hose between the metal fuel line that terminated on the sub frame and the inlet to the fuel pump which would work fine for you.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chuck

I thought that was the case, and I'll check into the correct filter that will fit between the pump and the frame....I am also using an aftermarket Holley mechanical fuel pump, but Im sure the fittings should be close....

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

The NAPA part number is "FIL-3033" - http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...00R_0429136998

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

They say you should never place a fuel filter before the mechanical pump. The factory used the brass filters in the inlet fitting on holley's. I have never used them, as they seem to be very restrictive and will plug easy.

I use a fliter screen coming out of the sender and then going to the hard line on the frame rail

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
They say you should never place a fuel filter before the mechanical pump. The factory used the brass filters in the inlet fitting on holley's. I have never used them, as they seem to be very restrictive and will plug easy.

I use a fliter screen coming out of the sender and then going to the hard line on the frame rail
Just curious who "they" would be?

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 14, 07:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I'm sure Scott is probably thinking what I'm going to say...

Any filter before the pump is having fuel pulled thru it whether its at the pump or in the tank unless of course you have an in-tank "pusher" pump. The factory puts a sock on the sender in the tank to filter debris to keep it out of the pump.

Jeff
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 14, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Screen (100 micron etc.) is OK before the pump.
Filter (10 micron) is not.
Filter before the pump is a restriction (becoming more restricted as it collects crud) and can cause cavitation. Pulling a vacuum on the inlet side also lowers the boiling point of the fuel and can contribute to vapor lock.

About all you can do for a true low micron filter if you want to run one sadly is cut that pretty hard line and insert one in it. I think the factory filter was probably not a fine micron rating. Those plastic/paper ones are somewhere around 75 micron so they have less chance of issues when installed on the pump inlet. Carbs are a lot less sensitive to crud than EFI which is where the low microns come in. The brass filters used in the carb inlets are 40 micron.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Oct 16th, 14 at 09:24 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 14, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I understand the reasoning on a filter after the fuel pump rather than before IF it is a fine micron rated filter. I don't think the one I referred to is such and the NAPA web site doesn't specify so the next time I'm at my local NAPA store I'll find out.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 14, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech
Al

The repro Z/28 line set is a good choice for a 4150 Holley and a Perf RPM reg or Air Gap along with a factory style fuel pump. I had to modify it a bit when I swapped to taller Z/28 - LT-1 style valve covers due to the taller v/c gasket rails on aftermarket heads.

I have doubts as to whether it will work w/o modification using the Holley fuel pump unless the Holley pump puts the outlet exactly where it is on a factory pump and has the same threads... at least that kinda stuff never works for me.

I have been using just the sintered bronze filters behind the fuel inlet nuts for years w/o issue. They have never clogged. I don't drag race it. I don't believe GM used a filter just ahead of the pump on the Holley equipped cars.

Last edited by BPOS; Oct 16th, 14 at 09:57 AM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 14, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

The NAPA filter you listed is the same as a Wix 33033 which is rated at 20 microns. Googling around, I found a Holley TBI install sheet that includes one of those that gets installed before the electric pump and has a 10 micron after the pump. So, you'd have to assume that it would be OK before a mechanical pump.

BTW, most "name brand" gas stations use a 10 micron filter on the pump so you've gotta work pretty hard to clog up your fuel system regardless.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 14, 10:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueZ View Post
Will the factory dual feed gas line from a 69 Z work with a street avenger carb on a 350 small block? I think it should....if it does what about a filter? Thanks
The '69 Z fuel line kits use a different size inlet fitting than the over the counter 4150 carbs come with. You can get the right inlet fittings on ebay and probably Summit or Jegs to make it work.

I've run an AC style canister fuel filter mounted between the hard line from the tank and the mechanical fuel pump for over 15 years on my Camaro and close to 10 years on the Nova with no adverse effect. Mounted them that way back in the day when these cars were daily drivers too and never a problem!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 14, 06:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Yes Dennis the inlets are smaller, I think 5/16 inch. They are about fifteen dollars or so. I have not seen them anywhere other than resto books, or ebay. Have not seen them in Jegs or Summit. My car only had the filters in the inlet. Big blocks and small blocks without a Holley had inline filters. The carb lines will work with no problem, just connect them all loose and tighten after all are together. The pump to carb line might need some tweaking with a aftermarket pump, but most of those pumps have a base that can be turned, so maybe it will not be that bad. Works fine on my car, I have the factory intake, with edelbrock heads.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 14, 08:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueZ View Post
I used re-pop Z28 fuel lines on the Street Avenger on my 327. It works fine. I had to swap out the inlets on the Holley to make it work with the 5/16 lines.

I got the 5/16 inlets from Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-26-27/overview/

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 14, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chuck

Thanks Guys, and Thanks for the pics Farm Boy, thats exactly what Im looking to do....I can't imagine the 5/16 lines would effect the performance either on a small block...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode