Freeze plug bad really r u kidding me? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 14, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
JC

Send a message via AIM to JC69RSZ28
Freeze plug bad really r u kidding me?

sorry guys need to vent. A little over year ago I picked up a 69. It had a nice running small block but I never really drove it but around the block once or twice. Once I got it home started the transformation power front disc complete hotchkis suspension took front clip off clean and painted everything and replaced or rebuilt everything but the motor as some day an LS motor will find its way into the engine bay

So bolting everything together new wiring etc. ready to fire it up so I can take car to paint shop. Get her all fired up running great BUT WAIT what's that steam from? What a bad freeze plug? Really right behind the passenger side motor mount? 😢

How did it go bad just sitting there? Granted it was sitting for a year but in my shop not freezing etc. #%+. So I guess changing a freeze plug is in my near future. I just hope the others don't take a hike. Dang. Gumit.

Working on old cars is fun. Keep saying working on old cars is fun 😄

1969 Hugger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 14, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Re: Freeze plug bad really r u kidding me?

Crush 1 coolant leak tablet into the rad. I had a small leak in the past at a frost plug and it sealed it.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 14, 04:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I recommend that every engine gets brass plugs installed before engine is installed. The steel plugs rot from the inside out. Might look great on the outside, but is like cancer on the inside. I would replace all of them. I even replace them in brand new crate engines before installing the engine in the vehicle. I also put Zink in the radiator . It is a mist if running any aluminum components.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 14, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
B

Stuff always goes wrong at the worst times. But, we know what we are getting into with these old cars! Its in the name!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 05:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Keith,
What mechanism do you use for inserting zinc, and why is it necessary? We used to run sacrificial zinc on boats all the time, never heard of zinc in an auto cooling system though...

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
I recommend that every engine gets brass plugs installed before engine is installed. The steel plugs rot from the inside out. Might look great on the outside, but is like cancer on the inside. I would replace all of them. I even replace them in brand new crate engines before installing the engine in the vehicle. I also put Zink in the radiator . It is a mist if running any aluminum components.

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics

Build album

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 12:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

JC, I suggest that you step back and take a deep breath. A leaky freeze plug is a VERY minor problem with these 45+ year old cars. (and the technology used to create them)
I suggest that you think "disaster" even when opening the door. That way, if nothing goes wrong, you can do this .

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I put a chunk of Zink in the block in the rear freeze plug hole. I also put a zinc anode in the radiator where the drain valve is. With dis similar metals, it will reduce electrolysis just like in a boat. It is a small piece of insurance . I always use it in aluminum head/ intake engines. With my engines brass plugs are not an option. All the people I build for just have to deal with it if they don't like. Using steel plugs is like playing the lottery, we all have heard of people winning, just never me.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 10:15 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

What kind of zinc you using? Unless you get some high purity zinc Aluminum is still anodic to zinc by a few millivolts. But when you put the the zinc inside the aluminum radiator its a much closer couple than the cast iron block that at least a foot away and separated by mostly non conductive radiator hoses and rubber radiator mounting blocks, so only the coolant is conductive (and if your using pure water its not very conductive). If the radiator isn't grounded to the chassis of the car, you have no return path for the electrons to migrate from the block to the radiator, or the zinc and no (or very little corrosion will occur. But since you hanging the zinc inside the radiator, you do have a complete circuit path for a concentrated corrosion cell to occur using the wire the anode is hanging from.

I used to do corrosion work on pipelings and pilings under power plants, so I know a little about cathodic protection systems.

Lithium is best its about 3.5V negative to steel, but its kind of pricy, and if you could find it and put it too close to the metal your protecting it in a high conductivity environment it can cause hydrogen embrittlement in the metal its supposed to protect. I've actually seen impressed current catjhodic protection systems that were set too high form hydrogen inside the steel surface and bubble out the surface of steel pipes and tanks, like a burn blister.

If you had to use anything use magnesium, that is anodic to zinc, cast iron, steel, aluminum and most any other metals you will run across in a car, but as long as you fill your radiators with demin water, and change it once a decade or so you really shouldn't need any kind of zincs inside the cooling system.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 04:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

You can test your water electrolysis like this .http://sancarlosradiator.com/Voltage...ectrolysis.htm

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode