Is this the proper way to check cam lift (hydraulic lifters) on SBC?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Is this the proper way to check cam lift (hydraulic lifters) on SBC??

Hello!

I have a simple question here!

Today, I wanted to check my valve lift to diagnose a problem I have and I'm suspecting the camshaft.

I removed my valve cover and put a dial indicator on the valves retainers and rotated the engine via the crankshaft bolt (sparkplugs removed). I realized that I couldn't check the valve lift that way because I have hydraulic lifters and when under pressure, they discharge slowly and my dial indicator needle drops slowly. So I can't get a good reading that way... about impossible.

The cam manufacturer of my camshaft (Comp cams) also gives the ''lobe lift'' spec, so I decided to remove the rockers and put my dial indicator directly at the tip of the pushrods. I figured that the internal pressure of the dial indicator was not strong enough to compress the hydraulic lifters and that I should get a pretty good reading. (The pressure of the dial indicator is pretty low).

I wanted your opinion if that is a proper way to check the camshaft lobes lift?
The reading i got seems pretty bad if that is the case...

Please let me know!

Have a nice day!

G.b.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 09:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Re: Is this the proper way to check cam lift (hydraulic lifters) on SB

Sounds right to me, but not sure if you'd get an incorrect reading if you had faulty lifter. Maybe you could put a "foot" on the bottom of your dial indicator so that it sits on top of the lifter, not into the hydraulic portion.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

I understand your point!
I'm actually putting the dial indicator at the top of the pushrod, and the pushrod sits into the hydraulic portion of the lifter.
However, I was thinking that, even if the lifter was faulty, I would still get a correct reading... Am I wrong? the center (hydraulic) portion of the lifter would still travel the same distance if the lifter internals were bad?

I don't know how I could adapt the dial indicator to go downnn trough the cavity of the pushrod to touch only the brim of the lifter?

thanks

g.b.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 10:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Yes, you're likely right, but considering how important the information is, I'd want to be sure I wasn't pulling the engine down to remove the cam if only a lifter was failing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaumeber View Post
I understand your point!
I'm actually putting the dial indicator at the top of the pushrod, and the pushrod sits into the hydraulic portion of the lifter.
However, I was thinking that, even if the lifter was faulty, I would still get a correct reading... Am I wrong? the center (hydraulic) portion of the lifter would still travel the same distance if the lifter internals were bad?

I don't know how I could adapt the dial indicator to go downnn trough the cavity of the pushrod to touch only the brim of the lifter?

thanks

g.b.
this may help

5 pc 0-15" Dial Digital Indicator Extension Stem Rod Tip Set 1", 2", 3", 4", 5"

$21.95
Buy It Now

Free Shipping

• 38 watching
  • |
  • 74 sold

5 pc 1" -> 15" Dial Digital Indicator Extension Stem Rod Tip. Our precision Dial Indicator Extensions allow you to extend the reach of most any dial indicator. Features standard 4-48 Threads for added...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 06:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaumeber View Post
I understand your point!

thanks

g.b.
Your dial indicator should have a little screw on "flat foot" that you can set on the end of the push rod. Most sets have this little foot along with some screw on needle points or bull nose points.
That should be enough to just ride the push rod ball and tell you what you need on one lobe.
I am assuming your indicator is attached to a magnetic base?
You should be reading your cam card measurements , to get total lift , multiply by rocker arm ratio.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Hello!

I am indeed using a magnetic base, and I am also using a round flat foot, about 1/4'' wide. That seems to work pretty well.

I can't figure how the dial indicator extensions would really help; the pushrod inside it's cavity acts like an extension by itself.
the extension would be pretty hard to install into the pushrod cavity and it would also sit in the middle of the hydraulic lifter, giving the same results.

Maybe I'm wrong on a point or smthing...

Thanks a lot
g.b.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 11:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

You're going about it wrong.
For this diagnosis, forget precision measurements. You need to LOOK at the bottom of each lifter. Pull the intake, back off each rocker and remove each lifter and look for galling. Be sure to not mix up the lifters. Make sure they go back in the hole they came from. (that's unless you find a bad one of course, then the cam's gotta come out.)

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Thanks Fred!

I am just trying to avoid removing the intake if I can.. I just put new gaskets there about 2-3 weeks ago... I would like to let them there if there is no problem.

The reading I get are far from ''precision measurments''. On some lobes, I got 0.230'' when the spec is 0.3''....

i will do the test again but pushing on the pushrods before to be sure they sit well on the cam round surface.

thanks
g.b.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 03:26 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Lifters have more spring tension than a dial indicator so your golden on the lobe lift measurement being accurate.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode