Ring Blow By??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Ring Blow By???

If the rings have a lot of blow by, would I see traces of oil in the intake and exhaust ports of the head.. I have a real lot of crankcase pressure, blowing the dipstick out of the tube, and now putting a second set of intake gaskets.. There is no trace of oil or gum anywhere.. The motor is brand new. 427 sbc 10.5-1,Hasting rings..020 gap. high volume oil pump..600 lift mechanical roller. The heads are Victor Jr. cnc ported..The motor is only pulling 12-15 vacuum, and at high rpms, I don't think the pcv is working with the sudden drop of vacuum. there is a breather on the drivers side and pcv on psgr side.. at a idle, the pcv is sucking like a SOB. Any other suggestions..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Re: Ring Blow By???

I've got higher than normal vacuum reading at the oil dip stick (6") when it should be (1-3") when I tested it so I'm picking up one of these small orifice hallowed out PCV valves to see if it helps.

GM no longer stocks them but were used on many cars/trucks that had a high oil consumption.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 11:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Hi Steve. So you decided not to hijack huh?
First, PCV'S don't work much under load. Load = little to no vacuum.
If your engine is blowing out the dip stick, I think you've got bigger problems than an improperly located PCV. (it needs to be on the drivers side)

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Thanks Fred , No hijacking today, this car is driving me nuts.. Bigger problems? can you give me some suggestions?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 12:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Sure Steve. Excess crankcase pressure only comes from your combustion chambers. That rules out bad valves because they aren't tied to the crankcase.
That means pressure is not being contained in one or all of the cylinders. You could have a cracked piston, or bad rings. The block is probably OK if you're not loosing coolant to the pan.
First, I'd do a compression test. (quick and easy) Then go from there. Hell, you might even have a missing ring. When you pull the plugs for the test there's a good chance you'll see a bad one and know how to proceed.

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 04:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Or cly leak down test .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 09:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Yup. My compression test was 180 in every cylinder on my Bel Air. Leakdown was blasting out the oil fill tube before I even got past 20# pressure in the cylinder.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Compression test tells if pressure can be made
Cylinder leak test tells how well the pressure can be held - a better test as suggested.

Welcome RickD - long time

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 10:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Thanks!

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech
alex

More than likely you have some broken rings or a busted ring land with that kind of blow by on a new engine or both. In any event engine has to come out and be taken apart and evaluated as to the cause . Hastings rings are great piston rings used them for years . Alex
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss27 View Post
More than likely you have some broken rings or a busted ring land with that kind of blow by on a new engine or both. In any event engine has to come out and be taken apart and evaluated as to the cause . Hastings rings are great piston rings used them for years . Alex
Or rings stuck in the ring glands. I made a mistake of putting too much Indian head shellac around my head studs. Some dripped into the cly and walls, top rings picked it up. Made the entire power tour on low power until I got home and ran a leak down on each cly. Found the leak quick.
Yes, Hastings , Ramco or PC rings are good as long as they are moly, no chrome please.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 09:04 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
First, PCV'S don't work much under load. Load = little to no vacuum.
Actually, the opposite is true. A PCV valve is fully open during lower vacuum signals (under a load for instance when there's the most blowby which all engines have to a degree) and the PCV valve is closed or almost closed at higher vacuum conditions (idle, cruise, deceleration).
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 14, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
Actually, the opposite is true. A PCV valve is fully open during lower vacuum signals (under a load for instance when there's the most blowby which all engines have to a degree) and the PCV valve is closed or almost closed at higher vacuum conditions (idle, cruise, deceleration).
OK, apples and oranges. If you're talking about the valve internal setting under load vs. cruise, that's one thing. But if you're needing to check out how much crankcase air is moved, then that's done under high vacuum conditions. Full throttle just lets blow-by out to the air cleaner because vacuum is non existent.
To insure the crankcase is healthy I perform a quick test by pulling the PCV valve and hold it clear of the valve cover. One can expect smoke from both valve covers even on a healthy engine. It's the amount of smoke that tells the tail.
Another fun check is to remove the passenger side tube to the air cleaner and cap it with the palm of my hand while the engine IDLES. Vacuum should glue my palm to the tube. Yeah, those tests don't work at full throttle for a variety of reasons.
After re-reading your assertion Don, no, I disagree. I think it's the other way around. But that depends on the 'tune' of the valve I suppose.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode