Not Happy---Damn Heater Core!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Not Happy---Damn Heater Core!!!!

Took the Camaro for a little spin today, got back and smelled antifreeze and there it was leaking from the heater core all over the inside of my car!!!! I know what I am doing on Tuesday, glad I have the week off, lol

1967 camaro, 327, 9.7 CR, comp cam xs274solid, vortec cylinder heads, edelbrock vortec performer rpm, 750 annular carb, HVH 2" spacer, msd pro billet w/6A box, turbo 350 trans, 3500 stall, 4:10 gears, caltracs suspension, m/t drag radials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 08:59 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Not Happy---Damn Heater Core!!!!

Well at least you found out before the winter freeze set in. Grab a bag of playground sand at Homedepot to soak up any antifreeze on the floor/toeboards then sweep it up with a wisk broom into a brownpaper bag, seal it up and throw it out in the trash, the sand should meet the requirements for safe disposal without the cost of speedy-dry.

Rug is another situation all together. If you have a little green machine you can quick wash it out but if its been there a while it may discolor lighter carpet and turn black carpet a purple hue. Depends on the antifreeze color and strength.

Hope it is an easy swap for you and there are no surprises in your core waiting for you to uncover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Heater core has been in there a while, done the BB conversion when it was installed, I had dynamat on the floorboard and it has started to bubble from the antifreeze, there was a couple puddles of antifreeze and the black carpet got a little wet, but not bad.

1967 camaro, 327, 9.7 CR, comp cam xs274solid, vortec cylinder heads, edelbrock vortec performer rpm, 750 annular carb, HVH 2" spacer, msd pro billet w/6A box, turbo 350 trans, 3500 stall, 4:10 gears, caltracs suspension, m/t drag radials.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 09:34 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

So far so good.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I had this happen a couple of seasons ago to my small block 69 right around this time of the year. I removed the heater core and was surprised to find it didn't look very old, certainly not the original. There were some labels on it that I used the info from to search and find it was a Canadian manufactured core. I placed it in a pail of water, blocked one connection tube and applied air pressure to the other and found the only problem was where the connection tubes were soldered to the tank, there was minimal solder there and definitely not enough to prevent a failure as had occurred.

I cleaned up the area around both connection tubes where they attach to the core tank and re-soldered both joints allowing a bit more solder to aid in there not being a repeat failure. Then I pressure tested it to way beyond the pressure level it would ever see in the vehicle and re-installed. Due to the challenge removing and installing the core it isn't a quick or easy job but it can be done. Just make sure you pressure test whatever core you are going to reinstall and make sure there are good strong solder joints between the connection tubes and the core tank. BTW, mine is still leak free, good luck with yours

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Got the heater core out, wasn't to bad, my 45 year old body doesn't bend in some places, lol Core is not leaking around the tubes, leaking around the bottom of core, called two radiator shops, they both said they cant be repaired better off to buy a new one.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjbad67 View Post
Got the heater core out, wasn't to bad, my 45 year old body doesn't bend in some places, lol Core is not leaking around the tubes, leaking around the bottom of core, called two radiator shops, they both said they cant be repaired better off to buy a new one.
Try and find a quality replacement, do a search for the ones you want to avoid purchasing.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 12:53 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Heartbeat city carries an excellent quality core line and may even be the manufacture since they own the surviving Harrison Radiator Division and the original heater cores were made by Harrison.

But if you are going over the counter at the parts places or on-line search here first as suggested as there was a really good post on core quality last year or so.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 02:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
found the only problem was where the connection tubes were soldered to the tank, there was minimal solder there and definitely not enough to prevent a failure as had occurred.
This leak occurs usually because when the new core is installed, the pipes dont always line up exact with the heater casing... and get tweaked slightly.. thats all it takes.. and/ or again get bent putting the heater hoses on......and this may occur several weeks to yrs after install...
So when installing line up the pipes and hoses, if they need any realignment, do so, pull out and re heat/ solder those stressed solder joints.
I pull those original pipes out and solder in in new longer pipes, line up, resolder if need be.
The slightly longer pipes allow far easier fitting of hoses and jubilee clips, and best access is from under the car
I now have high pressure plumber compression 90 deg (or 45 deg, cant rem so long ago) fittings on the end of my hoses rather than slide on hose/ jubilee clips

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech

Well mine had a slow drip coming though the bottom rivet on heater box,I took it out and it was a Harrison{ I replaced it back in 78 and replacement back then was original Harrison from parts store}.Looked OK so I pressure tested it in a bucket of water at 5lb 10lb 40lb and not one bubble. I did this many times.I looked at the old hoses I took off and came to the conclusion it must have been leaking past the hose clamp and dripping down the heater box though the firewall.Put back in,silicone around tubes on firewall just in case to make sure.Put back together and guess what...SAME STINKING LEAK...O'Reilly part number 399086 is a good replacement for small block. It is 2in thick where as part 399063 is 2.5 in thick.My Harrison was 2in thick.I just love doing things twice;it's easier the second time.

Last edited by Stainless dog; Oct 21st, 14 at 03:41 PM. Reason: correct spelling
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

checked the local o reillys, they have a BB core for 41.99, my dad says leave the heater assembly out, you don't drive it in the winter anyway!!! He is all about losing weight and going faster, he is 71, lol

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 05:37 PM
Tech Team
TOM

for the ones out there that have no idea how to change a heater core and because you need to change yours, you should make a video on it while you change it, just an idea
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjbad67 View Post
checked the local o reillys, they have a BB core for 41.99, my dad says leave the heater assembly out, you don't drive it in the winter anyway!!! He is all about losing weight and going faster, he is 71, lol
I would leave it out especially if you plan to add AC in the future. The new AC systems don't use the stock heater core.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Got a heater core from Autozone, the box looked like hell, opened it up and both tubes are bent to the right, doesn't even look like they were soldered and the bottom corner was smashed where the fins are, got another one coming, It better be good, or I will get my money back!!!!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 14, 01:06 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I'm amazed at the stories of bad customer service and or lack of quality assurance big box auto parts stores have these days. I know now I sound like a geeeezzzzer with a capitol G, but really did the parts receiver put down their cell phone long enough while unloading the shipments to actually hold the damaged box in both hands and think maybe I should open it up and inspect it before we call the guy all the way down here to pick it up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode