Need help choosing a cam - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Need help choosing a cam

I recently purchased a '68 with a 10 over 396 with a 292 straight cam. I'm having some valve train noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear valves. First I tried having the valves adjusted and the ticking didn't stop. Now I'm being told I'll prob need a new cam. I'm relatively new to the muscle car world and could use some advice.
My questions are.
Does this sound accurate?
What would be a good can to go with and how much should it cost to install?

Thanks, Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: Need help choosing a cam

I'm not sure that I'd go with a 'probably' diagnosis. Find someone who can give you an accurate reading of what is going on. Replacing a cam, then lifters, valves and who knows what else can get expensive, and your issue could still remain. Maybe post a video or audio clip and some of the fine folks here can point you in the right direction. A mechanics stethoscope also goes a long way to pinpointing where exactly the sound is coming from.

Good luck!

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cv2065; Oct 23rd, 14 at 09:17 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Rob

http://youtu.be/_DuY9N7zUCg

Last edited by Robd68; Oct 23rd, 14 at 09:34 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

Rob, I had some valve train noise coming from the rear cylinders on my small block.......was the header gaskets. Sometimes you can't really tighten the last bolts cause of the firewall.
Ended up buying some good gaskets http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...berl/overview/ and some smaller headed header bolts from ARP.
Problem solved for me.
I don't know if thats your problem but if you have good engine performance this might be a cheaper alternative to try first before the cam change.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 10:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I had a little noise from a cam I put in a 350. I was told the modern cams with fast opening and closing profiles can do that (it was a Comp Cams with .500+ lift). Your clip did not sound excessive so that may be it. I would listen with an automotive stethoscope and see if you notice a difference from valve to valve. I also had a new set of valve covers that the lifter hit the oil baffle under the holes for the PCV and vent that sounded a lot like a lifter tapping. Bent the baffle a little to fix that one.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 10:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

First thing u do is invest in a mechanics stethoscope... 20 bucks
poke around till u find what is making the noise...
Could be as simple as a lifter touching the cover, and only just enough not to even mark it, to a cracked or collapsed piston to the suggestion above
Quote:
having the valves adjusted and the ticking didn't stop. Now I'm being told I'll prob need a new cam.
ALL will keep making the noise after readjusting lifters....funny that..

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

You need to see if the cam is going flat. If it is and depending on how many lobes are flat I would suggest taking the pan off the engine and checking some bearings. That cast iron may have gone through the engine.

If it is a flat cam I would HIGHLY suggest going hyd roller. More up front $ but in the long run more power and more reliability.

Chris

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 14, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Thanks for all the help.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 14, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Most raer valve ticking is an exhaust leak.
Either a header gasket, collector gasket or a donut if it has a stock exhaust.

A flat cam won't lift the rocker nearly as much as the other rockers while running.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 14, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

If it is your cam, then you have a worn lobe and you would probably find a "concave" on the bottom of one of your lifters. I drive a 95 S10 with the same problem you are describing. It won't hurt anything if what I mentioned is the above case and you choose not to do anything about it (my opinion and others can disagree). The ticking might just make you frustrated to listen to.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 14, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Take the valve covers off and spin the engine and note any rocker arms that are no fully going down. Do you have a solid cam or hydraulic. If you have hydraulic then add a bottle of GM EOS to see if the lifters free up.

Here's my #3 intake that has a worn solid lifter cam lobe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bPi...sufT8Q&index=5

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode