5w50 too much? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

5w50 too much?

I had my leaking rear main seal replaced and I told my mechanic to use Mobil 1 since that is what the previous owner always used.

When I got it back he apparently used 15 or 5w 50. I'm currently in Illinois but moving to Dallas in a few weeks. Is 50w ok or should I drain this an put something lighter in? What weight given it can be driven more year round in Texas.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:48 AM
Retired
Jim

Re: 5w50 too much?

If living in Texas, Id recommend 20w-50. You wont have to worry about cold morning starts that require 5w- oils. The 50w will tend to help out with oil consumption if that is an issue. Has the engine ever been rebuilt? what modifications? more info. would help. Stick to oils with higher ZDDP than conventional oils offer too. Your flat tappets will like higher ZDDP alot, (with no catalytic convertor). DONT use an additive to 'add' ZDDP to your oil, that will mess with the chemistry of the existing oil, not help it. I would recommend AMSOIL's ZROD oil.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

What weight was being used before?

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 08:42 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

5W oils were formulated to reduce wear on cold starts allowing more oil to be pumped when the car is cold. The polymers in the oil expand to thicken the viscosity with an increase in temperature. Personally having lived in Florida for at least sixty years now I use 30 W in the winter (when temps drop down into the mid 40's to 40 W oil in the summer when the temperature soars into the mid 90's (but with the humidity so high you can watch the mold grow on any thing that you set down).

Your biggest concern shouldn't be viscosity but mineral content. You need DZZP in your oil even if you have a roller cam. There are a lot of other metal on metal parts rubbing in the engine beside the cam and tappet.

If you have a rear main seal leaking then the seal was not offset from the parting line of the rear main cap and sealed with a small dab of RTV gasket sealant. The SBC leaked so much oil that the engineers redesigned it to seal it up in 1987 going to center bolt valve covers that do not distort and leak and the one piece rear main seal without a parting line. (they also changed the oil pan sealing with a one piece gasket.)

Big Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech
alex

Here we go boys here is yet another view that you need the zddp even with a roller cam and I believe it . I believe that LARGER DAVE is known as BIG DAVE over at the Nova site . He isn't one to say something that is not true he has been at it a long time and is a very sharp and thorough man check out his posts. The knowledge speaks volumes for itself . I am a proponent of F / T cams and all the cam companies say you need the zddp . Alex
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Viscosity is a measure of a lubricants physical resistance to flow.

How is your car being used?

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 11:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
If living in Texas, Id recommend 20w-50. You wont have to worry about cold morning starts that require 5w- oils. The 50w will tend to help out with oil consumption if that is an issue. Has the engine ever been rebuilt? what modifications? more info. would help. Stick to oils with higher ZDDP than conventional oils offer too. Your flat tappets will like higher ZDDP alot, (with no catalytic convertor). DONT use an additive to 'add' ZDDP to your oil, that will mess with the chemistry of the existing oil, not help it. I would recommend AMSOIL's ZROD oil.
When you get back home , before winter sets in, change to a lighter oil. 5-30 or 40, depending on your needs.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

I'd recommend 0w30 synthetic, you need the lighter viscosity for start up year round where most wear occurs.

The climate you live in doesn't make a difference as a properly functioning water cooled engine will operate at a set temp regardless of the outside temp.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

wow...lots of info. Thanks and I am fairly green.

Its a 383 stroker with an edlebrock 383 stroker top end kit. It now has a new tremec 5 speed. I just got the car a few months ago and it was sitting for awhile so when I started driving it its started bleeding a few things. I do not know the weight of the previous oil. I just do normal street driving nothing fancy or hard on it.

So what DZZP is Mobile 1 synthetic?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

I run joe gibbs hot rod 15-50 in mine
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 03:14 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

10W40 should be the heaviest weight you use. 20W50 is just too heavy IMHO.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode