More range - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 14, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

More range

With a 18 gal oem gas tank and my 69 with a 640hp 572 bb under the hood, range for travelling is a real problem. Does anyone know of a place I can contact in Canada, that can provide me with a much larger tank that will fit in the oem location...(don't want a feul cell in the trunk), that will work with a carb, and will work on a budget....I know that's a oxymoron...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 09:54 AM
Team Member
Scott

Re: More range

have you thought about installing a efi system,i did on my 67 and it improved
the milage quite a bit.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Tanks Inc builds one for mini tubbed cars that is chopped off on the corners but they make it an inch deeper to get capacity back. Might be able to check with them about building a deeper standard tank for you. If the 1" deeper is the whole tank and not just the bottom portion that is worth around 800ci or 3.5 gallons. Also have to consider the sending unit pickup and straps. Plus there's really not much room to go lower with the tanks and for sure you can't go out any. You could pick up some capacity if the tank were squared off instead of contoured but it would be ugly as hell hanging out below the rear valance.

Spectra is the main supplier for OEM type tanks and they're in Canada. They do not market an extra capacity tank for the F body but you could ask them about building one. I know they make a double capacity 38 gallon rear tank for the old dual tank Ford trucks.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

By chance a larger tank from another model of GM might fit. And maybe Tanks Inc. would know which might fit. I know it's a long shot, but might be your most economical option.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Well it looks like Im S.O.L for a bigger tank within my budget so I guess Im forced into looking to put an auxiliary feul cell in the trunk. Summit and Jeggs sell all sorts, and sizes, but I really would like to run my oem tank as primary and use the second feul cell to supplement it. Any one have any ideas on how I can do this? Maybe have the cell up top syphon into the oem below therefore essentially having both tanks act as one big one? ....going all mad max on this one...I knew the 572 was going to be a problem with feul economy....but damn, when u can see the needle drop as your foot does....lol
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevysrule454 View Post
Well it looks like Im S.O.L for a bigger tank within my budget so I guess Im forced into looking to put an auxiliary feul cell in the trunk. Summit and Jeggs sell all sorts, and sizes, but I really would like to run my oem tank as primary and use the second feul cell to supplement it. Any one have any ideas on how I can do this? Maybe have the cell up top syphon into the oem below therefore essentially having both tanks act as one big one? ....going all mad max on this one...I knew the 572 was going to be a problem with feul economy....but damn, when u can see the needle drop as your foot does....lol
you will have to be able to control the flow from the upper tank to the lower, or you will over flow the lower.
if you are using a return fuel line that will create another problem
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

If you decide to run a separate extra tank or fuel cell, install an electric selector valve that controls which tank you are drawing from. If you run a return line, you'd need two valves.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 07:54 AM
John

Garage

The simplest way is to have a valve on the fuel cell line that feeds the OEM tank.

The issue I see if you let it siphon it will overfill the OEM and dump fuel out the filler.

With the valve in place you can re-fill the OEM by opening the valve to re-fill then closing it again. You can also leave a couple gals in the cell to use as a reserve.

You can plumb it with quick connects and remove it when not needed.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
Anne

Maybe you need to "think outside the box."

1) Start your trips from high elevation and coast a lot of the way.

2) Mount a sail on the roof.

3) Remove pushrods from cylinders 2, 4, 6 and 8 and run on 4 cylinders for long trips.

Where there's a will there's a way !

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
With a 18 gal oem gas tank and my 69 with a 640hp 572 bb under the hood, range for travelling is a real problem. Does anyone know of a place I can contact in Canada, that can provide me with a much larger tank that will fit in the oem location...(don't want a feul cell in the trunk), that will work with a carb, and will work on a budget....I know that's a oxymoron...lol
I know exactly how you feel, I have a car with a lumpy 496 (722 hp) that needs a 50/50 mix with race gas. It doesn't get driven much lol. The gauge seems to always be half way between E and the door handle.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Hey guys thanx for all the help...even the funny...lol. I have an oem tank without a return line, so I don't think this will get too complicated. I like the idea of just having a valve...(manual) to open and close the upper cell to refill the oem when needed. I just now need to find a fuel cell that has its exit line at the bottom of the tank so gravity can move the fuel from top to bottom. I havnt looked into it much but most of the cells I see for sale look like they draw from the top just like the oem...hhmmmmm
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 03:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Six speed trans or a tag along fuel trailer?. You don't really have any other storage capacity, as you stated in the trunk is not an option and don't blame you.

There are two small areas under the car, outside the springs , under the trunk floor but , will two or three gallons be enough?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 06:50 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Hey guys thanx for all the help...even the funny...lol. I have an oem tank without a return line, so I don't think this will get too complicated. I like the idea of just having a valve...(manual) to open and close the upper cell to refill the oem when needed. I just now need to find a fuel cell that has its exit line at the bottom of the tank so gravity can move the fuel from top to bottom. I havnt looked into it much but most of the cells I see for sale look like they draw from the top just like the oem...hhmmmmm
Another idea is to use an electric pump to transfer the fuel from the fuel cell to the OEM tank. Use the top feed tank and quick connects to remove it when you don't need it. Install a fitting in the fuel neck and run the hose from the electric pump to the fitting on the filler neck.

When the cell is disconnected the open fitting will work as a vent.You can then just have a switch in the cockpit to transfer fuel on the fly.

I don't think the fuel will siphon from the cell with the pump turned off so you wouldn't need a valve with the top feed fuel cell.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 10:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: More range

I actually used to have a 55-Gal Drum as a 'spare' fuel tank in my '77 Chevy 4X4 for extra capacity when we were taking deep 4X4 trips into the desert or Mexico years ago.
Since the truck already had the two (2) factory side tanks, the "Drum" gave me @90 Gals total ...

I didn't bother with any fancy switches/solenoids/valve(s) for this, just hooked a 'feed' line (with a positive Shut Off Valve in the hose line) to a 'T' in the Vent line at the filler tube, and then modified the right side tank sender/pick-up bung fitting by removing it and installing a new (solid line) 'pipe' into the removable sender base - think of it like a return line fitting, but it extended down about half of the tank depth.
Then I reassembled and routed the 'new' pipe fitting up to the 'Drum' as a "Vent" via fitting threaded and sealed into the upper area above the largest threaded bung.
I just used the larger Threaded Bung in the "Spare Drum" as my fill point - yes I had to unthread to fill, but this wasn't very often - and 'sealed' the drum back up once full again.
In operation - I filled the upper Drum, opened the lower outlet valve to feed the right tank (normally right as we left the paved/main roads and that tan was already down a bit) and as soon as that tank hit @half-full the new piping I had installed would get above the fuel level and then it allowed vent air to get to the spare drum in bed of truck and allow fuel flow into the lower tank ... viola! as the tank filled it covered the 'vent' and stopped flow for a while until fuel level dropped again and fuel would flow ... and so-on, and so-on, and so-on ... until my 55-gal drum was empty.
I would just monitor the dash fuel gauge - which would just stay @1/2 until the drum emptied - and as soon as it started to drop again I knew the 'spare drum' was empty ...
My "Range" was now really impressive Seemed like we were always siphoning fuel from my rig to give others ... I once made it from L.A. to Albuquerque without stopping (okay, once to 'P' ) and really could have made it further, but didn't know where to get fuel next
This system worked flawlessly for years, never leaked, and required no maintenance. I had the drum strapped into bed on 'bunks' with metal banding that just unbolted when not needed to give me my whole bed back again.
I finally removed the plumbing for it about 10 years ago after many years of not going that far back offroad anymore ...

Soooo - if you can fully seal the 'spare' upper fuel cell/tank and use a vent tube that is positioned under normal upper fuel limits - you can have a tank that will 'vent' via the fuel level and not require any fancy pumps/valves or other items to transfer fuel and maintain level/flow.
The "Secret" is the 'seal' of the system

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode