Street engine on a budget ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
paul

Street engine on a budget ?

I have just had a bit of luck and have bought a new crate engine from a fellow hot-rodder, a new GM unit part number GM10067353.

This will form the basis of my engine build for my 67 Camaro project. The original 327 engine was removed and lost long before I ever got the car and the replacement 350 was worn out and the block badly cracked.

So, I am thinking I want to up the power a bit, help it breathe better. I would like a little more hp but I don't need it to rev hard.

I am thinking a cam and heads swop and a nice intake to go with the FAST EzEfi kit I already have here. I think an MSD dizzy and box will handle the spark.

has anyone any recommendations or experience of heads/cam/intake that will give me the best upgrades for a reasonable expense ?

Should I also be thinking about what headers/exhaust manifold to use with the upgrades.?

Street driver but must be able to hold its own against kids in fizzy jap cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Street engine on a budget ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmanta View Post

I am thinking a cam and heads swop and a nice intake to go with the FAST EzEfi kit I already have here. I think an MSD dizzy and box will handle the spark.

has anyone any recommendations or experience of heads/cam/intake that will give me the best upgrades for a reasonable expense ?

Should I also be thinking about what headers/exhaust manifold to use with the upgrades.?

The heads/cam/intake upgrade will help a ton. You'll get as many recommendations as you get responses.

I believe that engine has 8.5:1 comp with 76cc chamber heads. A set of good aluminum heads with 64/5 cc chambers would be a good move, as would a hyd roller camshaft.

I would use headers rather than manifolds. I don't see the need for a MSD ign box on a street car.

Edel Performer RPM is tough to beat for a mild street small block.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 06:36 AM
John

Garage

Edelbrock sells top end kits that are pretty good bang for the buck.

I agree ditch the MSD box.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Check out Pro-filers aluminum heads @ http://www.profilerperformance.com/r.../sbc-23-degree. For the price these are one of the better heads you can get. Here is a nice hydraulic roller cam and lifter kit to go with the heads. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hr...make/chevrolet Check out these ceramic coated headers for a 67 Camaro http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pt...t/model/camaro
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Anne

Make sure that MSD dizzy has vacuum advance.

It will kill your gas mileage if it doesn't.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
paul

MSD will probably be this:

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...stributor.aspx
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-k315-350-400

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence454 View Post
Make sure that MSD dizzy has vacuum advance.

It will kill your gas mileage if it doesn't.
Whats gas mileage??

If everything seems under control
you're not going fast enough.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CamaroConv View Post
Whats gas mileage??
My Wife's VW Golf gets 58mpg on diesel so in my mind what I save on running that I can get low mpg out of the Camaro and just pretend I have two cars that do around 30 mpg...

Wifey tells me its man Math at its finest.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Well it will run and idle cooler with a vacuum advance so even if you don't care about mpg, a vacuum advance is still a good idea if it's gonna be a street cruiser. If it was just for the track then no matter.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
The heads/cam/intake upgrade will help a ton. You'll get as many recommendations as you get responses.

I believe that engine has 8.5:1 comp with 76cc chamber heads. A set of good aluminum heads with 64/5 cc chambers would be a good move, as would a hyd roller camshaft.

I would use headers rather than manifolds. I don't see the need for a MSD ign box on a street car.

Edel Performer RPM is tough to beat for a mild street small block.
I totally agree here as I have the same exact combo in my parts hauler truck and it runs excellent.
Goodwrench 350, RPM heads and a small Lunati Voodoo roller cam.

1967 convertible T-1
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
paul

So for speed and ease of installation it might be best to just get an Edelbrock top end kit, heads, intake and cam and fit the MSD all in one dizzy and a set of headers.

Should I be looking at a better oil pump or is the standard one ok for what I am doing ? I am putting a better oil pan on, I don't like this one as it is not baffled very well and we have lots of very twisty roads here and I like to "make progress".
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

The title is 'Street engine on a budget'. Well, you need to specify your budget, because aluminum heads and roller cam setups are certainly not cheap.

If you are truly 'on a budget', there are less expensive options. Of course, if you can afford to throw down the big buck$$ for edelbrock RPM heads and a roller cam & retrofit roller lifters, go for it. Those are very nice parts.

If you want to spend alot less money, here's my suggestions:

Vortec iron heads have 64cc chambers and flow well. 'Dirt cheap' vortec heads, casting 062 or 906 can be found in the junkyard off of '96-99 suburban/yukon, trucks. Or, if you prefer, here's a set on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321567563063 Swap in used LS1 beehive valve springs with comp 787 retainers to increase the vortec head's lift capability. Just be cautious and inspect used vortec heads carefully for cracks. They are prone to cracking in the exhaust seat if the engine was overheated. Use the stock vortec self aligning rockers. At the junkyard, also grab the head bolts, center bolt valve covers, and valve cover bolts too.

Throw it together with a ebay vortec 4bbl intake: $118 http://www.ebay.com/itm/121404952728

and then consider a summit cam/lifters. Good cams, with proven grinds for cheap. I'd consider 1102 for auto, 1103 for manual trans. On a street car, there is not going to be that much difference in power roller vs. flat tappet cam, but there is a big difference in price!

As far as ignition, you don't need the fancy MSD stuff. Run a HEI, also easily found at the junkyard from any mid/late 70's - early 80's SBC.

Score some cheap headers from craigslist or a swap meet. I scored headers for my '68 for $40 off craigslist

The standard oil pump is fine. Don't need a HV for the street, just robs power to be always pushing against the fluid when you don't need it.

You'll have a rippin' combo with hundreds invested... instead of thousands.

This is coming from a full time college student, shoestring budget guy. If you have more money for all the best brand new parts, go for it, but my point is you don't have to spend alot to have a stompin' street engine if you are careful and know what you are doing.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
'68 350 4 speed
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Dude's in England.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 14, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
paul

Hey Joe,

Good post and a good question, my budget to make this engine perform better is a couple of grand, I have done the junkyard builds, I have done the shoestring cars kept going while I was college and in my first part time jobs, I turned 40 recently and this is my present to myself for working since I was 14 and now being in a position to afford to do the car I always wanted.

The other complication is that I am in England so junkyards are full of French cars and old VWs and other things that I am interested in !

Again, thanks for the very well considered post. I think anyone doing a search on this topic in future who reads it will be very pleased to find all that great information in one place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode