Water Pump - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 14, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Red

Water Pump

I have a 350 engine block about 1979 I just had it rebuilt but the water pump hole on the passengers leaks coolant the 2 bolts that hold the water pump are threaded but the one below is not and that is the one that leaks has any one heard of this the old block it was a dead end hole but this seem to go into the water jacket is that possible. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 14, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Water Pump

The lower hole is the bypass hole. It circulates water back through the pump from the block when the thermostat is closed.

The SBC water pump gaskets look like this, the one with three holes is used on the passenger side. Some bolts go into water jacket, I use sealant on all of them.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 14, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

There are only four bolts used to attach the water pump to the block. As Steiner said the by-pass is internal on the small block, but it is external on the big block. Here is a picture of the front of the block showing the by pass hole in the block just below the water entrance into the block.

And an exploded view:

All four bolts go into the water jacket (as do all of the head bolts, and four of your intake bolts), and you (or your engine builder) need to use sealant on the threads to keep coolant from SLOWLY wicking out of the motor. If you have water pouring out I would suspect a torn gasket or a foreign object (such as the old torn gasket that wasn't scraped off) caught between the block and the water pump that prevents the pump from seating properly.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 14, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Red

OK Thanks I used a electric water pump so hole is not covered they tell me to tap and plug it. I think the engine builder should of plugged it when he had the heads off and built the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode