67 Fuel ventilation Q'S - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 14, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67 Fuel ventilation Q'S

So I have a 67 with a 350, running on older style Holley double pumper. My car has been dying after running for only a few minutes, it starts to sputter then dies, once it dies it cranks but wont fire. When its about to die if I tap the gas it keeps it going for a moment, which leads me to think its fuel related.

My carb has been rebuilt, new fuel filters, and new fuel pump (Mechanical ). I'm starting to scratch my head, but was wondering how is the 67 ventilated. Does the tank have a vent tube or is it through the gas cap. I have an air tight cap on at the moment because I needed one with a lock because they were getting stolen. ANy help would be great.

Justin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 14, 02:40 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 67 Fuel ventilation Q'S

The "vent" is in the cap but it sounds more like either a stuck float so empty bowl or bad accelerator pump carb circuit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 14, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking Re: 67 Fuel ventilation Q'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
The "vent" is in the cap but it sounds more like either a stuck float so empty bowl or bad accelerator pump carb circuit.
I've had my carb guy look at the carb multiple times, the float moves freely, you may have to explain what bad accelerator pump carb circuit means i'm special.

Justin

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 14, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Justin, Did this problem start immediately after changing the gas cap? Does it die if you just let it idle? If yes then remove the cap and see if that corrects the problem.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 14, 06:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Float level too high, starting to flood? Tap the throttle, it does squirt but also gives it the air needed to clear?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 14, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

If the inward only vent of the cap is possibly the problem, remove it for the normal time it takes for the car to die. If it doesn't die, then it was the cap.

Your issue sounds fuel supply related. Even if you run the fuel bowls dry in a Holley, the accelerator pumps still have a squirt or two left, so the car might briefly run after it dies from lack of fuel. Next time the car "runs out of fuel", pull the sight plug and take a peek into the bowl to see if it empty.

If you had a bunch of trash in the tank, the filters could be clogged and would continue to re-clog even after cleaning the filters. I.e., drop the tank and remove the trash.

You could also have a weak fuel pump.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 14, 02:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Dont forget a collapsed fuel hose??
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 14, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

When it dies or begins to die, I still have solid fuel pressure. and even after it dies the fuel bowls are full. The fuel pump was replaced because I was thinking maybe the one I had was getting weak. With the new pump and new filters the problem still exists.

Could lack of fuel ventilation even be enough of a problem to kill the engine?

One thing..... when it died last, I pulled off the air filter and a fuel/fume/steam came out of the carb. This was on a cold morning after only running for maybe 5 minutes tops.

PS: thanks for helping detectives.

Justin
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 14, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Manual or electric choke?

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 14, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWarm View Post
Manual or electric choke?
No choke

Justin
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 14, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Hidden fuel filters behind the fuel inlet nuts filled with trash?

If you aren't running out of gas and it isn't flooding, then your problem isn't fuel related.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 14, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I'd verify the ignition system is okay before digging into the fuel system any more. Check if it has a good spark when it starts acting up. It could be something as simple as a bad ignition coil that overheats after a few minutes and stops working.

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 14, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well ignition system is in good shape, I had just installed a new msd complete distributor.

I think I figured out though… found my secondary boosters in my carb were dripping. I pulled the needle and checked it out, it wasn't dirty and the seal was good. I noticed a little crud in my fuel bowl. I wiped out the fuel bowl and put the needle back in. It ran great and no dripping. Not sure what stuck my needle open but its working now.

Thanks for all the help!

Justin
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 14, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Outstanding! Glad to see you got it cured.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode