pulling the motor - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 14, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
James

pulling the motor

Well i have decided to pull the motor/tranny out of the car as i have a couple issues to solve. first off i have a small oil leak at the back corner of the passenger side head in between the head and the deck. is a new leak that came out of no where but enough of a leak that it warrants looking at. haven't done a compression or leak down test yet but i also have a extruding peice of casting on the housing of the tranny that is hitting the floorboard in the tranny tunnel that for some reason i never noticed before. will be much easier to correct that with the motor out so will kill two birds. i have read a little on oil leaks from the head but if anyone has any thoughts etc please share. it is not coming from the valve cover as i am guessing that will be one of the first suggestions someone makes. I will also deal with a few other little cleanup issues etc while the motor is out as well. very tempted to put a FAST injection system on the car while the motor is out as well but don't think my wife would like the $3000 by the time all is said and done. maybe santa will be nice to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 14, 10:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: pulling the motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitnessguy View Post
... i have a small oil leak at the back corner of the passenger side head in between the head and the deck. is a new leak that came out of no where but enough of a leak that it warrants looking at....
... i have read a little on oil leaks from the head but if anyone has any thoughts etc please share. it is not coming from the valve cover ...
If it's coming from the "passenger" side of the engine at the head, I would imagine it is a poor sealing condition between the rear of the intake and the block at the head junction/intersection.
This is usually due to rubber seal squeezing out or failure of the sealant used in this area.
A leak at base of the distributor can also present in this area.

On the opposite side of engine there is a plug at the top of the oil passage. If this is not correctly installed or seated it will also leak in the area between the head and block - just on the drivers side normally.
Here is that plug - Click image for larger version

Name:	ccrp_1005_10_+small_block_build+remove_oil_gallery_plug.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	91362
Note that this plug can be a drive-in type or a threaded plug - depends on year and/or modifications *** to which one you have.

Oil sending units have also been know to cause hard to spot leaks, but they normally just drain down back of engine and bellhousing showing up around bottom of engine behind oil pan ...

Best of luck

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 14, 10:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I would pull the intake manifold and see if the seal between the manifold and block and head is bad as John suggested above. You may save many hours of work. It may not solve the other issue but pulling an engine is a major project. You can still pull the engine and trans if you do not see anything obvious.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 14, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
James

thanks John and Larry, really good tips. i agree on the work to pull the motor but with the piece on the tranny i need to cut off and the other items, it will be the easiest way to deal with it all at once. As you said John could potentially be a couple different spots so nice to have the motor out to really see where it is coming from. also seeing as i am in british columbia, i won't drive the car again until May at the earliest with good ol winter so i have the time to do the work! I was teasing my wife last night saying this motor that is two years old is worn out and no good any more so i should sell it and throw in a blown big block! leave the hood off and make some noise! needless to say she didnt have too many nice things to say to me. i will keep you posted as to what i find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode