Harmonic balancer mystery, I'm dazed. Which one do I need? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Harmonic balancer mystery, I'm dazed. Which one do I need?

Hello guys!

My 1968 camaro has a 327, converted into 350 using a 350 crankshaft.

Today, I read Lars' publication about finding the TDC and decided to check if my timing mark was good (if the outter ring had slipped from the inner ring). I discovered that my timing mark is about 10degrees off from the real TDC.

After removing the balancer, i realized that the timing mark SHOULD be in-line with the keyway. It is not.

I am confused and I can't find precise answers to my questions. I read that 1969 should have 10degrees off, and 1968 should be in-line. However, I can't find 1968 reproductions. Some sites (summit) lists 1969 unit for my 1968 but I think that this unit will come with the 10degrees off if I order.

I would like to know which balancer I need and where can I find?

thanks a lot guys!

g.b.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
alex

Re: Harmonic balancer mystery, I'm dazed. Which one do I need?

Yes you are right there are two balancer's pre 69 and post 69.Give Scoggins& Dicky Chevrolet in Lubbock Texas a call they will probably have one in stock. If you know someone that has the correct balancer you can fix yours to work with the proper mark Here's how. You will need 3 6in long 3/8ths fine thread bolts and then you have to thread them all the way down. Next you put one balancer ontop of the other and bolt the two together with the crank keyways inline. Next chuck them in a vise just to hold them . now you will see where the new line for the timing mark needs to go. Next mark it with a ruler then unbolt the two chuck in a vise and with a hacksaw slice in a new mark a little white paint and your all set. now you know which timing mark to use paint the old one orange. Alex
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Thanks a lot! that clarifies that I have a post 69 balancer on a 68 crank, that explains why I had problems timing it.
I might try to ''modify'' my balancer to avoid buying a new one. Your trick seems pretty good and precise but I know nobody who has one.
However, I managed to get a pretty good mark while checking for tdc, i used a bolt in the number 1 sparkplug hole, turned the crank until the piston touches the bolt, marked the balancer. Turned the engine the reverse side until piston touches bolt and made a mark. TDC is right between those 2 marks.

I repeated this procedure with 3 different bolts lenghts and ended up with 3 pretty close TDC.

I then realized that my TDC was aligned with the keyway and also exactly 10degrees off, so , even if I do not have another balancer to make a mark using your method, I have a pretty close location where i could use a hacksaw to make a new mark. I may end up with a 1 degree difference (2 at worst) but that shouldn't make a huge difference in the end. I might fill the old mark with body filler and re-paint the balancer too.
I would have prefered to find a cheap one online but all the manufacturers offers balancers for 69 and after only.

Thanks a lot again for the clarifications!

g.b.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 01:17 AM
Senior Tech
paul

You could measure your balancer and then put this on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-8985-Tim...-/360968035297
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Hey thanks for the reply. That would be the perfect solution but this restoration project is all about oem look! I will probably hack saw a new mark and fill the old one!

G. B.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech
paul

Cool, that's fair enough. I used this solution a few times but you are right, its not much good for OEM !

Good luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode