Which oil after break in? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Which oil after break in?

SBC 406. Mild cam. Did the break-in with valvoline VR-1 20w50. Have 50 miles on the motor now. When should I change the oil and what should I use? California for now...moving next summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Re: Which oil after break in?

Dump the oil and filter and refill what your builder recommends.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 05:27 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Brad Penn. You can get good pricing on amazon. I used 10w40 in my 496 solid lifter flat tappet engine.

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 05:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
dan

Can't really beat the valvoline vr1. I usually run about 500 miles then change. Cut open filter have a peek.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 06:00 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Brad Penn multigrade is Partial Synthetic and you don't want that.
10w-40 is fine and too much drag using 20w-50.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Check Summit racing. They have alot of different brands with the old style additives.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 08:01 AM
Retired
Jim

What grade does your engine builder recommend? 10w-40, 20w-50 ?? There are unlimited choices everywhere. AMSOIL has many options to consider.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

There are as many recommendations (opinions) as there are brands and oil formulations. All you need to assure your engine's long life is to add DZZP as an additive to bring the level up to 1500 parts per million. All motor oil has been dropping in DZZP annually. This includes Rotella and other diesel engine oils which had been traditionally higher in DZZP than spark fired motor oils.

Note that two wise members are recommending asking your engine builder for a recommendation. The reasoning behind this is because only the engine builder knows the clearances inside your the motor and whether he used a large fillet chamfer on the crank throws that narrows the bearing width and thus increases the rate of the engine's internal oil leak.

I used to build a lot of motors, and no two where alike as different customers had different goals. Oil companies have different formulations, to meet these different engine needs. So just saying use Rotella or Rizoline will not provide enough information. Here is information I mined off the internet, because I am to lazy to go to my files and read through a one inch binder full of chemical safety sheets listing the molecular content of each brand and formulation of motor oil.

Valvoline advertisies a high mileage motor that is "high" in DZZP in an SM rated motor oil. I know high is a relative term, so here are some numbers:

Here are the caps for the different grades (copied from another forum):

SH API oil rating 1996
zinc = 0.130%, 1300 ppm (parts per million)
phosphorous = 0.120%, 1200 ppm

SJ API oil rating 2001
SL API oil rating 2004
zinc = 0.110%, 1100 ppm
phosphorous = 0.100%, 1000 ppm

SM API oil rating 2005
zinc = 0.087%, 870 ppm
phosphorous = 0.080%, 800 ppm

After JAN 2006 DZZP compounds dropped to nearly half of the quantity added to motor oil back in 1969. Your motor has not changed appreciably since it was first built by Chevy. It is fair to assume that that motor requires the same EP protection that it had back then. This is why you need to pick your favorite brand and formulation and add DZZP to bring it up to the "good old days"; unless you have cats.

Big Dave
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

what cam
what lifters
as above, what does the engine builder recommend
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 12:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Isn't it ZDDP?

I'm using Brad Penn breakin, then Brad Penn regular.
I believe they have maintained the high levels of ZDDP in their oils.

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yes it is ZDDP, but I have dyslexia and I have bad breath too, but yes you are correct ZDDP, which as we all know is the short cut for Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. Basically Zinc is a sacrificial metal that gets ripped to shreds under the pressure of the metal on metal contact between a cam lobe and the bottom of a flat tappet.

Ford used to use a EP compound based on Cyanide but they have moved on to other compounds now for some reason (such as cutting your finger while working on a nine inch rear and not feeling well soon after that, or feeling anything as it could cause nerve palsies.) Since Zinc is chemically reactive newer synthetic motor oils use chlorinated lead compounds as every one knows how well humans get along with lead.

You are correct on Brad Penn motor oil (formerly known as Kendal GT the green oil). The company sold their good name to Shell Oil company for a couple bucks I'm sure, but Shell didn't block them from producing the same motor oil that they always made under a new name from the same oil wells located in Bradford Pennsylvania.

http://www.penngrade1.com/History.aspx

I heard this hard to believe story from two petroleum engineers that refine oil in Tampa FL, which is as far as you can get from a producing oil well. Fidel Castro caused a stir when he sold the rights to explore for oil off the costal plane north of Cuba . This cause hurt feelings as any oil spills located in the Gulf Stream would lead to the spilled oil to pollute the entire Eastern seaboard. This is the same seaboard and populace that prohibits oil exploration for fear of a spill.

Big Dave
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 03:43 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I would dump the 20W50 ASAP. Too heavy! You will get many many recommendations as mentioned on which oil. I use 10W40 Brad Penn in my BBC roller motor.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

Joe Gibbs break in for 20 minutes during cam break in if flat tappet, change oil and filter with the other half of the case you bought, you then need to change it one more time before 400-500 miles. Once you break the cam in and change the oil, don't idle it, drive it to put a load on it and seal the rings. 4th gear at 30mph and excelerate firmly to 60 and then let the motor bring the speed down to 30 and repeat, each time watching how much oil blows out on decel, it will get better each time until it stops, you will see it. It is hard to find a nice open road to do it, avoid idleing a new motor. One thing I found was if you are racing the car, the 10/40 dropped to low at the end of the track for me, the 20/50 does not. If you are not racing it, 10/30 or 40 is fine

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 07:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

the latest idea on breaking in ...and seems to make sense...once timing and tuning is pretty good drive it like you stole it for the first few hundred miles to really seat the rings well. No more taking it easy.
It's not a scientific study doing it once but I did it on my crate engine and seems great ..3000 miles so far.

68 coupe ,572,tko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode