post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bubba

1 bad lifter options ...???

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	92121 This is my solid lifter that began tapping then knocking in about 4 Minutes before I could get it parked. got 1400 miles on the engine. I Drained the oil and strained it, no large flakes ,but a glittery tint to it . Checked the lift on the camshaft lobe and to my surprise it was only off by .002 .. Whats the best bet replacing just the lifter and crossing my fingers or new cam and lifters all the way around ? and is there any thing else I need to check to prevent this ? Not sure what caused it.Faulty parts..incorrect install..?? I have good oil pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: 1 bad lifter options ...???

Sooner than later, new cam and lifters.

The metal on the cam lobe didn't harden, so just gonna wear faster now.

You can get by just switching out lifter, but won't last.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bubba

That's the option I was leaning towards. It was a comp xs274s.great performance on the street.. kind of leery of getting another comp though, had issues once before this time, it was the xs282s. never seen one dish out that deep , that fast ....Thanks for the input !

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Basically all no roller cams have this problem, did you use break in oil? It has a higher zinc content, new modern oils don't have this. Research cam lobe failure and zinc oil and you will get tons of hits.

If you already knew this (not sure, some folks still don't) then it could be cam failure, or too strong springs (many suggest using your old worn out springs for break in before changing to your new springs.)
Or, you could have tightened the lifters down to much on that lobe.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bubba

I knew about the zinc and had used lucas break in oil with zinc for break in and also added 1 bottle in it when I changed the oil. Also when I broke it in I used some 1.3 rockers I borrowed from a buddy, although that was the first time I used that method, he had suggested that way because i had purchased some new heads already assembled. Ive seen break in rocker arms but never knew the ratio ,I hope that wasn't too much or not enough. I guess I know what i'll be asking Santa for now ! Lol Thanks for the info .. I see how only the outside is hardened and once its penetrated its actually "soft" after doing a bunch of reading ....Thanks Again !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 04:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRider View Post
Sooner than later, new cam and lifters.

The metal on the cam lobe didn't harden, so just gonna wear faster now.

You can get by just switching out lifter, but won't last.
Totally agree, but suggest rebuild since the glitter has circulated through all of the oil passages, bearings, etc.

I had the same problem last year and shut her down pretty quickly. The main and rod bearings were slightly scored, as were the cylinder walls. I got by with a hone and went retro roller in the rebuild. JMO.

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

You need to replace the cam and the lifters. If you replace the lifter, you will replace it as soon as you start the engine again. There is no need to rebuild the entire engine. Drain the oil, remove the existing oil filter and install a new one. Add new oil, prime the engine prior to start up and you should be good to go.

A new flat tappet cam and lifters will run you around $300 dollars. A retro roller will run you about $900 but will eliminate this problem in the future.

That failure was caused by lack of zinc in the oil. The automotive manufacturers and the oil companies will not own up to this problem as they would be open to litigation for repairs. The government mandated the removal of zinc in the oil and thats why the manufacturers have been installing roller cams since the 80's.

You should run break-in lube (additional zinc) with every oil change in a flat tappet cam. This is not required with a roller.

Good luck with your repair.

Mike
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 08:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

If the motor is a junk 2 bolt main with cast crank and pistons that you just want to live a couple more years. Go ahead and just replace the cam and lifters. If it's more than that or you want it to live for many more years. Tear it down and get all the metal out of it.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

After losing 1 solid lifter cam lobe after 8700 miles, I went roller. Today's FT cams have useless metal and are not hardened as well as they were in the good ol days. Plus today's spring pressures are higher and the low ppm of ZDDP will kill any FT cam.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 14, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

If I can stagger into the discussion...
I once had an auto trans w/ metalflake in the oil. They said replace/rebuild the trans, the TC, flush everything. Or best, replace all of it.
Same story w/ shiny in the PS fluid.
Seems like flake in the oil is death.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 14, 03:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sc View Post
If I can stagger into the discussion...
I once had an auto trans w/ metalflake in the oil. They said replace/rebuild the trans, the TC, flush everything. Or best, replace all of it.
Same story w/ shiny in the PS fluid.
Seems like flake in the oil is death.

so you had shineys ??? what did you do ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode