Engine bearings (Cam, rod, mains) choice, many brands to choose from! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Engine bearings (Cam, rod, mains) choice, many brands to choose from!

Hello guys!

I'm in need of your experience and opinions on this one.

I'm actually refreshing my camaro engine. It's a small block 350 chevy from 1968. It will be near stock, with a small cam upgrade, 4bbl carb, stock intake, no headers. I do not have an unlimited budget, which is already busted a lot. I would just put the higher-end bearings and not care about it if I could...

I would be ordering from summit (or elsewhere if recommended). For the moment, I have came across : King, sealed power, and clevite (which starts to be more expensive...) those brands also have different series... for example, Clevite price range for main bearings goes from 40$ to 260$ for the set! What a difference!

I have also came accross the ''summit'' house brand... which is very inexpensive, and this got me questionning. However, I have heard only good things about the summit house brand; from cams, lifters, to rings, etc...

Even saw some ''engine tech'' bearings from rock auto for lett than 10$ a set...Ishh

I was also wondering, I know that they are selling 0.01, 0.02 and 0.03 oversize bearings for re-grounds journals, but what about the 0.001, they are usually more expensive... and I don't think it's possible to grind only 0.001 from the journal.. or is it??

I would like to hear about your experience with '' inexpensive'' bearings. I know that a lot of people could say: I went with the most expensive, and I had no problems... Yeah...I hope so!
But like i said, I am looking for a quality/price compromise... the best ''bang for the buck'' for a non-performance, non-racing engine which will probably do 500 miles/year

thanks a lot!

g.b.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: Engine bearings (Cam, rod, mains) choice, many brands to choose fr

It depends on what level you are doing your engine. Clevite 77 are usually the premium bearings, better quality, but higher price. I put King and sealed power bearings in my latest build. They looked great to me and have performed perfectly so far. The summit house brand is most likely the same supplier as other major discount parts stores. I figure budget bearings are fine unless you are doing sustained high RPM operation, or really abusing the engine somehow. In the case of racing or boosted/nitrous/high HP applications, I would go for the best available. However, if its a budget build, daily driver street machine, the cheap brands are probably fine.

For how you described your engine, nearly stock, low use, I would simply select sealed power or maybe even consider summit's house brand if they are less expensive. As long as you pay attention to your clearances during assembly, it should be fine.

.001 over bearings are usually for blueprinting your engine. If you were able to polish out the crank journals, but did not need to turn the crank undersize. You or your machinist may have determined that need to run a little bit larger bearings to take up the space to keep your oil pressure up, this is why these .001 bearings are available

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 15, 04:37 PM
Team Member
Almos

Garage

I have a same dilemma now.
Which bearings should I buy? I don't want the cheapest ones, but don't want to overpaying either if not necessary. Just want good quality, what will last for long time.
Any more input about these bearings?
Also which material the most realiable? Tri Metal, Copper lead, Silicon Aluminum, TM77 , Duroshield , etc...
Thanks

My restoration project:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1967 Camaro Convertible 327/210HP

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 15, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

For your rebuild I would use these bearings, the Summit Racing bearings do not have grooves. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...make/chevrolet and these for the main bearings because their grooved. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...make/chevrolet. Use good lube on these bearing and they will be fine. If you need cam bearings get these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dur-chp-8/overview/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 15, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

I used Federal-Mogul in my DZ

Mike
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 15, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech
alex

You cant go wrong with any of the rebuilder stuff FEDERAL MOGUL MICHIGAN KING The ENGINE TECH are more than likely reboxed FED MOGUL or MICHIGAN . There aren't too many bearing factories. Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode