Flat Tappet Setup - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 14, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hobart, IN
Posts: 237
Flat Tappet Setup

I would like some opinions on my mechanical flat tappet setup and if you guys think my setup will survive long term.

Block - 427 (512 COPO) bored .030 over
Cam - Crane GM Blueprint 131141 (ZL1)
Lifters - Crane Mechanical F/T

I drive it around 3,000 miles/year. No racing, only street use, but will run it to have some fun occasionally.

I use Valvoline 10W-30 VR1 oil.

I am no engine expert by any means, but I do sit back and enjoy learning from the experts.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Matt69SS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 14, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech
Doug
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hopewell, Virginia
Posts: 1,424
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

As long as you have a good set of poly locks and the rocker studs are flat on top you will be fine. I have had a mechanical roller cam for years (only about 10,000 miles) with Arp studs and Comp Cam poly locks and I check and adjust the valves once a year.
Cdminter55 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 14, 02:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon
 
bcm66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,661
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

Doug, he has a NON roller (flat tappet cam).

Matt, do you know which valve springs you are using and specs of those? And which rocker arms?

How many miles on it now since the break in procedure?

That is a good oil to use in my opinion.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bcm66 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 14, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 940
Garage
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

If it was broke in and has not wiped out a lobe yet then you are on your way. If your oil pressure is ok, then I would stay with the vr-1, if not go to the 20/50 VR-1 or the brad penn, no need for additional zddp additive with either oil. Spring pressure is the key during break in. The best solution is to break it in with only the outer springs and then add the inner after break in is done, change the oil and use the same break in oil for the next 300-500 miles.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
1971ls6 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 14, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hobart, IN
Posts: 237
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
Doug, he has a NON roller (flat tappet cam).

Matt, do you know which valve springs you are using and specs of those? And which rocker arms?

How many miles on it now since the break in procedure?

That is a good oil to use in my opinion.
Crane valve springs #99893.
Outside Diameter of Outer Spring (in):1.460 in.
Coil Bind Height (in):1.080 in.
Spring Rate (lbs/in):391 lbs./in.
Inside Diameter of Outer Spring (in):1.075 in.
Inside Diameter of Inner Spring (in):0.803 in.

Crane Rocker Arms #13801
Rocker Arm Ratio:1.7
Stud Size:7/16 in.
Maximum Spring Diameter (in):1.560 in.

I have about 1,000 miles on it since break in. Broke it in with Royal Purple. Engine on the dyno had peak HP at 527 at 6,300 RPM. Peak torque at 480 at 5,300 RPM. Engine has rectangular port 840 heads which I have heard produce high HP at very high RPM.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Matt69SS is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 14, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hobart, IN
Posts: 237
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
If it was broke in and has not wiped out a lobe yet then you are on your way. If your oil pressure is ok, then I would stay with the vr-1, if not go to the 20/50 VR-1 or the brad penn, no need for additional zddp additive with either oil. Spring pressure is the key during break in. The best solution is to break it in with only the outer springs and then add the inner after break in is done, change the oil and use the same break in oil for the next 300-500 miles.
Oil pressure has been good. After we broke it in, checked the oil pan and opened up the filter. Everything looked good.

I just want to make sure that I am headed down the right path with this engine.
Matt69SS is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Michael
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lutz, FL
Posts: 1,918
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

Next FT mechanical cam I install will be with the Howard's style lifters with the oil hole in the bottom.
mahunt is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 01:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon
 
bcm66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,661
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

Matt,

I think you are fine. Just keep an eye it when you change the oil for excessive wear and keep an eye on the valve adjustment.

The ramps on GM style cams are not that aggressive and should be OK. Problems tend to arise more with wilder cams and higher spring pressures.

The 840 heads are good for high RPM runs, but oval ports will beat them on the lower RPM range.

It was interesting you mentioned the 512 block. I am sure you know the 3963512 blocks were not COPO only blocks. They were used for the entire Chevrolet line from full size (Impalas/Caprice to Chevelles, Camaros and Corvettes) in 1969 for the 427 and 1970 for the 454. Is your car a COPO?

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bcm66 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hobart, IN
Posts: 237
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
Matt,

I think you are fine. Just keep an eye it when you change the oil for excessive wear and keep an eye on the valve adjustment.

The ramps on GM style cams are not that aggressive and should be OK. Problems tend to arise more with wilder cams and higher spring pressures.

The 840 heads are good for high RPM runs, but oval ports will beat them on the lower RPM range.

It was interesting you mentioned the 512 block. I am sure you know the 3963512 blocks were not COPO only blocks. They were used for the entire Chevrolet line from full size (Impalas/Caprice to Chevelles, Camaros and Corvettes) in 1969 for the 427 and 1970 for the 454. Is your car a COPO?
Thanks for the feedback. I will keep an eye on the things that you mention.

No, car not a real COPO. This car has been restored to primarily COPO/Yenko specs. This engine has a '69 Camaro VIN stamp, the 3963512 block casting number along with an MN engine pad stamp. That was my basis for saying it was a COPO block.
Matt69SS is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon
 
bcm66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,661
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt69SS View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will keep an eye on the things that you mention.

No, car not a real COPO. This car has been restored to primarily COPO/Yenko specs. This engine has a '69 Camaro VIN stamp, the 3963512 block casting number along with an MN engine pad stamp. That was my basis for saying it was a COPO block.
Ah, so then it IS a COPO block. I see know.

Good luck. Sounds like a runner!

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bcm66 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 14, 11:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon
 
bcm66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,661
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

Sorry, I meant to say I see "now". lol

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bcm66 is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 14, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hobart, IN
Posts: 237
Re: Flat Tappet Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
Sorry, I meant to say I see "now". lol
I knew what you meant. Thanks.
Matt69SS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome