Vortech super charger - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 15, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Vortech super charger

Has anyone out there installed a Vortech supercharger or Pro Charger on a BB 69 Camaro? I am trying to decide if I should go this route or just leave things as they are. I have a 454HO in the car now and it has great torque and power but would like to bump it up a notch. Would like to maintain the driveability as well and I think this would be the way to go. Just want to know if there are some issues that could come up and make things more difficult and expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 15, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Vortech super charger

I have a D1sc Procharger on my 496. The biggest draw back is having a smile stuck on your face and a ton of adrenalin flowing through your body. There are some challenges though. I have a two inch cowl and had to do some surgery on the ribbing to get the hood to close. I had to make a small slice in the fender well. Tuning IS also a a big deal. What compression are you running? I have 8.5-1, changed the cam for a blower and I have a C&S blow through carb, spark plugs need to be colder, exhaust should be larger, you need a bigger fuel pump, you will need a way to regulate extra fuel for when boost comes on(boost reference regulator), you will need an ignition that can remove timing per lb of boost, etc etc. Other than that it is easy, lol.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
I have a D1sc Procharger on my 496. The biggest draw back is having a smile stuck on your face and a ton of adrenalin flowing through your body. There are some challenges though. I have a two inch cowl and had to do some surgery on the ribbing to get the hood to close. I had to make a small slice in the fender well. Tuning IS also a a big deal. What compression are you running? I have 8.5-1, changed the cam for a blower and I have a C&S blow through carb, spark plugs need to be colder, exhaust should be larger, you need a bigger fuel pump, you will need a way to regulate extra fuel for when boost comes on(boost reference regulator), you will need an ignition that can remove timing per lb of boost, etc etc. Other than that it is easy, lol.
Thanks for the info that's just what I was looking for as I was just not real sure how well it will all fit under the hood. I also have the 2 inch cowl on my car so I know it is doable. Compression is same as yours 8.5:1 so it should run well. Exhaust is good big pro comp headers with 3 inch dual cross over all the way to the back so no issue there. What kind of boost do you run? I was thinking around 7 or 8 lbs. I understand the fuel pump and the boost reference for more fuel when needed. Didn't know about the ignition though so will need to research that a bit more. Any way thanks for your info its a big help.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 03:36 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Mike, my buddy is selling a brand new polished D1sc (full kit) if your interested, and in Canadian $$. He was going to use it on his 496BBC but is going in a whole other direction now

Let me know and I can put you in contact with him

Cheers
Steve

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage 03 View Post
Thanks for the info that's just what I was looking for as I was just not real sure how well it will all fit under the hood. I also have the 2 inch cowl on my car so I know it is doable. Compression is same as yours 8.5:1 so it should run well. Exhaust is good big pro comp headers with 3 inch dual cross over all the way to the back so no issue there. What kind of boost do you run? I was thinking around 7 or 8 lbs. I understand the fuel pump and the boost reference for more fuel when needed. Didn't know about the ignition though so will need to research that a bit more. Any way thanks for your info its a big help.
I have the smallest pulley on mine, I think it is a 3.7(have to look to be sure). I only go to 6k rpm and see 10 lbs of boost. I am running a dual plane manifold which is a no no with boost but I wanted more drive-ability. I have a snow water methanol kit to add octane and cool the intake charge. I use a Mallory Hyfire 6 it also retards the timing on startup. I run 38 locked and pull .5 degrees per lb of boost and see 10 lbs of boost so full boost is around 32-33 degrees. I have a C&S carb which also cools the fuel due to it's design. I have never seen detonation. The car is crazy fast(at least to me and my wife). Only can compare it to a new Porsche GT3 we went up against and we destroyed it spinning the tires until we hit 60 then we were gone. The car has a 6 speed(no first gear take offs) second gear and slowly stepping on it then 3rd is all out fun. 275-60-15's drag radials. I run Weldon 1100-A with a Holley boost reference return style regulator with #8 an to and from the tank. The D1sc for sale is what I am running and I am happy with it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheck44 View Post
Mike, my buddy is selling a brand new polished D1sc (full kit) if your interested, and in Canadian $$. He was going to use it on his 496BBC but is going in a whole other direction now

Let me know and I can put you in contact with him

Cheers
Steve
That would be great Steve, just pm me his contact.

Thanks
Mike
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
I have the smallest pulley on mine, I think it is a 3.7(have to look to be sure). I only go to 6k rpm and see 10 lbs of boost. I am running a dual plane manifold which is a no no with boost but I wanted more drive-ability. I have a snow water methanol kit to add octane and cool the intake charge. I use a Mallory Hyfire 6 it also retards the timing on startup. I run 38 locked and pull .5 degrees per lb of boost and see 10 lbs of boost so full boost is around 32-33 degrees. I have a C&S carb which also cools the fuel due to it's design. I have never seen detonation. The car is crazy fast(at least to me and my wife). Only can compare it to a new Porsche GT3 we went up against and we destroyed it spinning the tires until we hit 60 then we were gone. The car has a 6 speed(no first gear take offs) second gear and slowly stepping on it then 3rd is all out fun. 275-60-15's drag radials. I run Weldon 1100-A with a Holley boost reference return style regulator with #8 an to and from the tank. The D1sc for sale is what I am running and I am happy with it.

Thanks this is the info I need to make a decision. It sounds like it could be loads of fun just need to get it all figured out. Want to be able to drive the car just as I do now and do not want to race it just have fun. Thanks again.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 15, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

If going super charger I would highly recommend pulling the engine down and checking bearing clearances, installing coated bearings, and putting inconel exhaust valves in the head, and changing the cam to something suited for a blower.

After that you have will have power you never thought possible.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode