Blown headgasket??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Gary

Unhappy Blown headgasket???

How do I tell if I blew a head gasket or just an intake gasket?
There is coolant in the oilpan and white smoke out the exhaust and steam coming out the oil breather. It seems to run fine and idle ok. I'm confused and think a new head gasket, proper bolt installation, and intake gasket may solve the problem or do I just need a new intake gasket? It is a 1968 L78 396/375 iron head motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 09:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Blown headgasket???

IMHO it's highly unlikely that coolant is being sucked into the combustion chamber thru a bad intake gasket. Pull all the plugs and when you fine one that is completely white that is your bad cylinder. Do a cylinder leakage test on it with the radiator and oil caps off. I think you will find air pressure coming out the radiator cap.

Jeff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 10:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

To get to the head gasket you have to remove the manifold and expose the intake gaskets so.....I would recommend that first.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Anti freeze is really bad for all your bearings. I'd get it figured out asap. You'll have to pull the intake any way. Start there.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
alex

While your doing the job drain the oil and remove filter leave the plug out and let it drain to nothing. Anti freeze is a bearing killer get some butyl celosolve and put in with the fresh oil and filter. Run it a while and drain completely well then fresh oil and filter change again at 500 mi. Butyl celosolve is a glycol ether and will get rid of the antifreeze . Make sure you are very careful with it it is highly carcinogenous and is absorbed quickly through the skin, long gloves and a face shield . Alex
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 08:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyss396 View Post
How do I tell if I blew a head gasket or just an intake gasket?
There is coolant in the oilpan and white smoke out the exhaust and steam coming out the oil breather. It seems to run fine and idle ok. I'm confused and think a new head gasket, proper bolt installation, and intake gasket may solve the problem or do I just need a new intake gasket? It is a 1968 L78 396/375 iron head motor.
Coolant in the oilpan? Coolant out the tailpipe? Could be more than a gasket. Hope it isn't a head or a block issue.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 10:14 PM
Tech Team
ken

that could be a blown head gasket if it is blown in just the rite spot. But is sounds more like a crack in the head between a water jacket and a valve I would pull both heads and have them both checked no sense in playing around I can Guarantee you it is not a simple fix.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Have the heads mag'd and pressure tested. You could have a pinhole in the valve area or just a weak casting that has worn from all the years of coolant running though it. When you reassemble it, just fill the coolant with plain water for your initial drive test. Then you can drain the rad and then open the 2 block coolant bolts and empty it all then refill with a 50/50 mix.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Gary

Cool Re: Blown headgasket???

Thanks for the information guys. I'll pull both heads and have them checked. Not sure what is going on so I'll just hope it is not too bad.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 01:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Gary, I've never blown a head gasket on a BBC (L78 included) but that is a substantial engine that deserves proper inspection and repair. I suggest that you buy, borrow or rent two tools: a shop crane and engine stand. Pull your engine and be prepared for a proper repair, that may well involve machine work.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode