BBC oil pump pickup weld-on? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

BBC oil pump pickup weld-on?

I took my new Melling oil pump along with a Milodon pickup tube/screen over to a TIG welder this morning. He said because of the lower quality of metals in the cast iron these days he said better off to braze it which he doesn't do. Sent me over to another welder who brazes and he looks at the oil pump and says better off to take it apart and get the internals out as it will get real hot when he brazes the pickup tube/screen on. Wow, this is more than I bargained for so should I be doing that with this Melling oil pump to take it apart down to just the casting to have it brazed?

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: BBC oil pump pickup weld-on?

I have always used a stick welder with a nickel rod. it only has to be tacked, not welded solid
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
i have always used a stick welder with a nickel rod. It only has to be tacked, not welded solid
x2

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I used one of these gizmos from Jegs to hold it in place - this is on a SBC - not sure if they have one for a BBC, but worth checking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

I just use a mig welder, makes quick work of it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 08:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darrell

I have also wired them in place with no issues ... although I like the bracket set up from Jeggs too
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Sadly, I've been around this block a number of times. Found out a couple of things:

Brazing is OK but there has to be enough heat put into the part to fuse the metals. Insufficient heat on the cast presents the possibility that the braze will have insufficient penetration. For the purposes of brazing or any other form of welding, I remove the impellers and torque the cover back down to minimize the possibility of cover warpage. After the part cools, re-install the impellers, and torque the cover to spec, spin it by hand to identify any drag or tight spots created by warpage. it is occasionally necessary to dress the interior surfaces with 600 grit sandpaper to achieve smooth rotation. If any warpage is indicated, the cover can be trued by taping a sheet of sandpaper to a glass plate and working the mating surface until it is flat.

Whether welding or brazing, avoid trying to extend the weld all the way around the tube. Doing so can result in causing the tube to become brittle and snap off at the edge of the weld. In my experience, two 1/4" tacks, 180 apart is sufficient.

The best weld is performed with a TIG. It's a deceptively tricky process because of the dissimilar metals involved. Too much heat will burn through the tube while making it brittle and too little heat will result in insufficient penetration of the cast. I prefer to take mine to a chassis shop where the operators have daily experience with challenging operations.

I have come to prefer pickups with pre-welded tabs (in the manner of many Moroso pickups) securing the pickup to the pump housing screws. I use the pictured clamp in applications where it will fit conveniently.

Good luck,

c
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 11:12 AM
James

The same problem with me..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Anyone ever try JB Weld?

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

It would be great if we could. But, my feeling is that JB Weld would erode over time with the hot/cold cycling, vibrations, chemicals in the oil, etc. I know we use JB Weld to patch up holes in Quadrajets, but there's not as much exposure to chemicals and vibrations like an oil pickup tube.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I've done nothing way back in my early days, and had them welded also. I have been told don't braze because the brazing will crack.

My current motor I used a Milodon pick up that uses a support that bolts to the pump which actually holds it very tight, and in addition to that I used Loctite 640 sleeve retainer on the connection. It's for high temp slip or press fittings. It would take a hell of a lot to separate the two.

I just never liked the idea of welding them even though it's been done a million times. I like the bolt on pickups, the Melling performance pumps actually have bolt on pick ups you can buy for them.

Or buy a Moroso pre welded pump/ pick up.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech
Cory

x2 on new style melling oil pumps w/ bolt on pick ups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode