Headers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Headers

I tried searching but not having much luck.

I have a 69 Camaro, SB 350 with a 200r4 trans, power steering, and factory A/C.

I currently have a set of Hooker super comp headers on however, the drivers side sits below the frame rail and the car is lower than stock. This side does drag occasionally. The collector at the end of the header has one of the bolt holes straight down, reducing clearance even more. After a couple years of use this bolt at the collector has been ground down a bit and bent up and at this point the gasket is leaking. The only way to undo this bolt is to cut it off and since the header flange is bent, I can not re-bolt it on anyway. I might be able to straighten the flange, but would end up with the same dragging issue anyway.

Anyway, what I want to find out who has a better fitting set of headers for my application. The Hookers fit well except the driver side hangs below the frame.

Thanks

1969 SS/RS 350 Hugger Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Headers

There will not be any better fitting headers if you are going to stick with long tube. This is because the headers are all made to fit a standard ride height car. You have customized your car and it will require either block hugger headers, a set of factory original two and a half inch outlet cast iron rams horn exhaust manifolds (that flow as well as any headers on the market up 'til 4,600 RPM), or a set of custom made long tube headers to fit your ride height.

I would cut off the prone to leaking three bolt exhaust flanges and instead weld on some V-band flanges, then use a V-band clamp to make it leak proof and a bit smaller in diameter. If you can weld I would also consider converting my off the shelf universal fit headers over to custom tubes by welding in pieces of J tubes to raise the collector up under the car and use oval tubing instead of round if you have bigger than stock pipes.

Larger Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 02:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

If your application is a stockish 350 I would go with a set of Thorley Tri-ys if you want to change them. I had them on a 69 350 with a manual trans and p/s and they fit great and did not hang down. It did not have a/c so you should check on that first. Summit has them.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Call Dynatech because you will have to give them all the info on your car. Engine size, AC, power steering, auto or standard trans, angle or straight plugs.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Headers

You can simply cut off the flange, install a reducer to your exhaust size, and install band clamps with the bolts to the side.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

If your headers are coated then my suggestion is not for you.

I was able to heat the driver side at the lower bends while applying pressure at the collector flange with a floor jack to bend the header upward. Afterwards I removed the header and repainted, it all worked out pretty well. This was on Hooker Comps not the Supers which I think are a bit heavier tubing.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

These headers fit great and are the ticket for a lowered Camaro :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bi...t/model/camaro

And the 1-1/2" primaries give plenty of plug clearance.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Hooked developed and released a new set of headers for your application last year that specifically address the fitment/compatibility characteristics you mention, especially the ground clearance. Send me a PM if you'd like more info or want to see fitment photos.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 15, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Hey thanks everyone, looks like I have a few choices to look at. TJS69 have you done this before? Looks like a pretty simple solution.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 15, 09:35 AM
Mel

I'll probably get a ration for this, but I replaced long tubes with flowtech mid length headers because I wanted to get as low as feasible for autocrossing and regular commuting. These things gave me gobs of usable torque I never had with the long tubes.
They were a hassle to install with a manual trans, but they really woke the car up and ground clearance is not an issue with 3" drop all around.

Blah blah blah 69 X55 blah blah.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 15, 09:59 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencar69 View Post
Hey thanks everyone, looks like I have a few choices to look at. TJS69 have you done this before? Looks like a pretty simple solution.
I have not done this to mine. (probably should) I have 15 year old Hooker's that hang low. I know there have been people on this board that have done it.

You can always try it and if you don't like it, you were going to buy new headers anyway.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 15, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Do you have a part number on those Flowtech mid length headers notmybaby? I'm not against using those at all. Good to have several options to consider.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 15, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencar69 View Post
Do you have a part number on those Flowtech mid length headers notmybaby? I'm not against using those at all. Good to have several options to consider.
PM/info sent Kencar69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode