Thermostat housing question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Thermostat housing question

Ok I recently replaced a gasket on my thermostat housing, well it started leaking again. So I've read that the housing could be warped. So I bought a new one with the o-ring. Do I use the RTV with the o-ring or not? I thought about buying that $12 plastic reusable gasket. What are your suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech
Big Dave

Re: Thermostat housing question

I dont use RTV on the o-ring.

Just dry or maybe a dab of grease if the gasket easily falls out of the housing.

i love the o-ring style...works great for me anyway!

'69 camaro, was orig SS 396 car.
original tranny & 12 bolt

Now:
568 ci, Merlin Pro block
Callies crank, Oliver rods
AFR CNC 325, Nash 5 speed, 9'' Ford 35 spline locker
F1 Procharger that will get on soon...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
mike

These new GM water necks are decent for the money.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...oductId=762707

1967 convertible T-1

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Thanks big Dave. I wasn't sure because I know that some people complain about leaking by the bolts. Mike I like that new aluminum housing, but I wonder if the intake I have would work with that because it has a groove in it, that looks like its suppose to use the o-ring. I've done this before on another car and I used a gasket with RTV but I don't remember seeing the groove.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

Whatever neck you use other than an o ring deal, sand it flat on a piece of glass and do the same on the intake with a block. You are not trying to sand it down, only insure it is flat. Throw any gasket you have in the garbage, use the permatex for thermostats housings, small tube for $3.00. Put a thin complete coat on both parts, assemble and hand tighten until you just see it start to squeeze out, stop and come back in one hour and snug it up. Never touch it again. The gaskets actually leak through themselves. This system has never failed yet.this permatex works.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Thanks Morgan I prob shouldn't have used the gasket with the permatex last time. Yeah I realize that you need a flat surface. I cleaned both the intake and the housing very well last time. Last dumb question, if using the o-ring only way, should I put anything on the bolts or no?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 08:56 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Smear a little Permatex on the threads since they go into a water jacket.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Ok great that's kinda what I thought thanks!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 06:37 AM
Kevin

Subscribing! I have a slow weep that I cannot seem to beat. I will try this method now!

Quote:
Whatever neck you use other than an o ring deal, sand it flat on a piece of glass and do the same on the intake with a block. You are not trying to sand it down, only insure it is flat. Throw any gasket you have in the garbage, use the permatex for thermostats housings, small tube for $3.00. Put a thin complete coat on both parts, assemble and hand tighten until you just see it start to squeeze out, stop and come back in one hour and snug it up. Never touch it again. The gaskets actually leak through themselves. This system has never failed yet.this permatex works.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 06:56 AM
Team Member
Ty

The self sealing gaskets are great and reusable.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

This has been an issue for decades
Grab an old stock housing and gasket.. torque down even good to go for another 80K miles
Aftermarket...even before cheap chinese, maybe it was cheap jap stuff back in those days.. seep, leak and short life because tended to corroded holes in the roof ...where any air may collect over night.. basically a disposable item.. re use on and they would leak seep whatever.
A big part of the issue on these and also quailty units is user, regardless of what gasket/ sealant used
They have 2 hold down bolts.. not 3....if they are not bolted down evenly and toqued at the correct spec.. Ie over torqued they distort easy and leak.
The O ring ones where are far more forgiving...and re use well several times with a thin layer of silcone gaskets rubbed.. not just laid.. into both surfaces inside the O ring.. then Torqued.

look very close at the 'chrome' surface of a used (usually over torqued) unit, notice the stress hair line cracks in the surface.

But generally unless very well treated.. correct torques etc.. a disposable item.
2 bolts not 3, maybe not the best of engineering designs to be tolerant of mis use.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 04:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

The "re-useable" gaskets are garbage...put one on my new build, leaking this spring at start up...got myself a good ole felpro gasket, sealed both sides with black RTV...no more leaking...

Should've just done that in the beginning-it it what I had done for years, with never a problem.. tried the re-useable as a "short-cut"...doubled the work!

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 15, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I use The Right Stuff with no gasket for both my stat housing and water pump with no leaks and it's ready to run within 10 min.
If you have an aluminum housing then this stuff will fill them in. It's like liquid rubber. Don't waste your time with gaskets cause
they will eventually leak especially if no sealant is used.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode