Ugly, so need help on this carb linkage! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Ugly, so need help on this carb linkage!

This linkage was put together some time ago, and its not working well. The other day I had to put a washer on the rod connected to the pedal- See circled in back -looks professional doesn't it??!! The front circle, and forgive my lack of terminology, I think is my secondary linkage- to open up when pushing pedal down to the metal, right? Anyway, obviously, it's not working- loose and I never hear the four barrels open up. PLEASE advise me the easiest thing to buy to fix this mess- the springs feel tight, and when the pedal is on the floor, I am told there is a lot more carb to go, so I'm not getting wot ever. Any links, etc., to what I need would be great. I'm a novice, so hopefully this is an easy bolt on fix.- Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	108074  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Ugly, so need help on this carb linkage!

Sorry, forgot to add circles to point out this amazing setup- the washer you see on the back of the linkage was my handy work from the other day. Just under those big springs you will see the part that is supposed to do something when I go to wot, but it does nothing!

Last edited by Kev68ss; Apr 18th, 15 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
mike

The bottom linkage is the kickdown for the tranny. First thing I would check is to see if you are getting wot. Disconnect the linkage and have someone put the petal to the floor(not running of course) then move the carb throttle by hand and see where it lines up. I t looks to me like it won't. The secondary linkage is on the other side of the carb, nothing to do with the cars linkage.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

I pushed the pedal to the floor earlier today, and the carb still had room to move.

You can see the kick down for the tranny is a wreck- so what kit should I get to fix all of this??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb2.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	108082  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Turn the throttle rod so the threaded part is at the carb, that way the end of the rod won't hit the firewall at WOT. Then have a second person floor it and look down the carb to make sure butterflied are straight up and down.

Can't tell what the tranny cable is attached to, guessing you should have the bracket that mount to two intake manifold bolts. The square opening on the orange bracket is where the kickdown normally mounts, but the one in the pic looks too high for proper alignment.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Good idea- I guess that bar can be turned around. The closer I bring the back end of the rod closer to the carb, the more pedal I will get, if I'm following you correctly. The orange bracket you are talking about- so what I need is called a kickdown?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 08:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

You need to get the correct bushing so the throttle rod will be in the big hole on the carb. That will pull the rod farther from the firewall and give it more leverage and a lighter feel. If you don't get wot, you won't likely get kick down either. And as said above, turn the rod around in the other direction.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Are there kits that include the bushings,rod, and whatever for the kickdown?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Ugly, so need help on this carb linkage!

You just need the bushing - should be available at Jegs etc.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...uretor+bushing

You have the bracket for the kickdown cable already.
That big orange bracket that you have is also used IF a throttle cable was used. (It is from a newer vehicle and was probably swapped with the entire engine at some point.)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

You're talking about the big hole near the "H" in the Holly in the pict, correct? I assume Holly can help me with the size if I tell them the model of my carb??
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Ugly, so need help on this carb linkage!

Look at the Jegs link above. It will show you the two pieces needed to attach your throttle rod to that large hole.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Here are some of the parts you will need to repair your gas pedal linkage. http://www.camarocentral.com/Carbure...e_p/acl-14.htm and http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_19...r_p/acl-16.htm You can make you a custom throttle rod following these direction. It will look and operate better than what you have. https://www.camaros.net/forums/blog.php?b=153 This is the correct kick down cable bracket for a 1968 TH350 transmission. http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...350-1968-1969/ This is the kick down cable assembly for a 1968 Camaro TH350 1968-69. http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...350-1968-1969/ Now with these parts you can repair the mess you have on top of your engine. Good luck.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 11:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I would also recommend you re-position your springs to the front of the linkage. The DIY linkage in the link above is excellent. The kick down cable bracket is available lots of places including wrecking yards if you are saving money for the linkage. Most of all be careful and make sure the is no binding before you take this on the road. Being stuck at WOT is no good.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode