Flamethrower coil only?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 15, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Flamethrower coil only??

OK, I have been running my 45 year old Factory coil in my 350/300 and I think it is getting too weak. Prior to this, carb was running rich and running OK (had intermittent miss and not running to its potential). So I fixed the Q-jet (old:67 jet, 37 rod. New: 67 jet, 40 rod) and tuned it up again, much more missing on the 1st attempt. Changed the dist cap and rotor, ohmed out all the wires, cleaned the plugs (AC r45s). Re-set the timing, but it is still missing a bit.

My only thought is the mixture is leaner now and the coil is having issues lighting the fire. I have a flamethrower coil on order, but I am having 2nd thoughts. I am still running my resistance wire and points, was not planning to upgrade the points to the pertronix.

Can I hook up the flamethrower coil to the resistance wire? Or do I have to go for a 12v switched source?

I really do not want to splice into the factory harness, it took me a lot of work to get that back into shape.

Thoughts?

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 15, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Flamethrower coil only??

Kevin, not positive, but I am pretty sure ya need a 12 volt source. I do not think your current set up will provide the energy to rapid fire the coil as it was designed too. The 12 volt source keeps energy stored to allow very quick mutli burst of firing, with out the 12 v source I do not think it could keep up and keepe nough energy stored.

I could be completl off on my description, but I think that's how it works.

Worse case, call the maker of the coil and ask them, but not sure if what your thinking is gonna do more for you than what ya have, if it would work at all.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 15, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech
George

Right now Ive got the pertronix ignitor 1 and the flamethrower coil running off of the resistance wire on my 67. It works fine. You just wont get the full 40,000 volts or whatever they quote for the coil. I used the coil with points for a bit also and that worked fine also.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 15, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Flamethrower coil only??

You can run a new wire from your Fuse block. Make sure it is a switchable Hot.

Your problem could be a cracked distributor cap. You will not visibly see it. Change the cap and try it.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 15, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

I have a question into pertronix. I thought about running a full 12v, but I am pretty sure it will fry my points. The 12v is really for the breakerless modules. Dist cap was already replaced. Just bought a regular coil to give it a try before I hear back from pertronix.

Kevin

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 15, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

OK, threw the new generic coil on and it is running much better! Smoothed right out and vacuum gauge is not bouncing around. Had to max out the crane adjustable vac canister and reduce the initial timing from 12 degrees (without Vac advance) to 8 degrees to get the part idle pings out.

Next, do a compression check and replace the plugs and try another tuning session to make sure.

Still have the Pertronix coil coming and will try that when it arrives. Things are looking up for this season's cruising!

Kevin

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 15, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Alright, just confirmed with Pertronix tech support, the Flamethrower coil will work just fine with the resistor wire and points. The 40,000 volt spec is the maximum the coil will produce with 12v, maximum gap and everything perfect. With stock points and plug gap it will be a lot less. But It should be more volts than the stock generic one. Just have to receive it and install it

Kevin

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 15, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech
Phil

Is the gas fresh?

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 15, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Nope, but I am using it up fast! Will fill it up when I get some free time.

Kevin

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Finally got the flamethrower coil installed. I can honestly say I saw a difference in the coils performance. Original factory one was really missing, put a generic one in and it got better, put the flamethrower in without changing anything else and it got even better. Much smoother idle, miss is almost gone (still have to change plugs) and much smoother power.

Took it out for some fresh gas and 1st cruise night.

Works fine with my factory original points and resistor wire. I recommend it!

Kevin

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 08:16 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Kevin, I read through the instruction sheet on Pertronix support. The first sentence is note NOTE: REMOVE OR BYPASS EXTERNAL BALLAST RESISTOR OR RESISTANCE Wire When Installing The Recommended Flame-Thrower Coil. I would run a 14 gauge wire from the (ignition) fusebox to the coil. Fold the original wires and tape them. What I did is unplugged the engine harness and removed the resistance wire reusing the connector on my new 14 gauge red wire which runs to my MSD box. Also on the Flame-Thrower website it said you can use the Pertronix Ignitor in your distributor. http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx Check it out it seems like it would be worth while.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Doug, I talked to the pertronix tech directly, their coil can run fine with resistor wire with points, but not with the ignitor unit. The resistor wire protects the points, not the coil. I do not want to change the factory wiring or points. If you were going to run the ignitor unit, you have to have 12v. The instructions are a little vague there, they assume you are going to install the ignitor and coil together. With the coil only receiving 8v, the volts supplied to the pugs will be less than the max rating, but still higher than a stock coil

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode