Exhaust clamps Flat Band - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 15, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Exhaust clamps Flat Band

I have bought a new exhaust system for my car. The Headers are Doug's D320 and the pipes are Flow Master Delta Force 17201 3". The flow master clamps look like they will deform the pipe like a traditional clamp and I was thinking about using Stainless steel flat band or step clamps. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with these. I have read on amazon that some people complain and others love them. It would be nice to be able to remove the exhaust easily as I don't have a lift.
I was also curious if anyone has a BBC with a TH400 and a gear vendor for proper H pipe placement. I don't have a gear vendor yet but I will. and hate to redo the exhaust if I can help it.

69 X66 72 72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 15, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Exhaust clamps Flat Band

I use the formed flat band clamp for the reason you mentioned.

This is just a sample of what is out there. I used them on all my flowmaster pipe fittings and muffler.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-692250/overview/

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 15, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Thank you. Did you put any sealant in the joints or is it not necessary.

69 X66 72 72

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 15, 09:13 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

I use them, no complaints. If you have joints with stress you may need to tack weld them so they don't rotate worst case. No sealant needed.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 15, 09:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I used these on my 3-1/2" exhaust. No sealer, and they work great.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-33223

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 15, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

I was tempted to tack weld the mufflers to the pipes but I will see if they look skookum when I intall them. Thank you for the info. I hate buying stuff and not having it work.

69 X66 72 72
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 15, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Satatic

I have 4 of them on mine. I stepped down from 3.5 to 3 right at the header. So i have a 3.5 lap joint band clamp there. The reducer fits over the collector. Then I did a 3 inch butt joint after that. Then the rest of my exhaust is all welded together dumped before the axle.

I have no interest in the crush style clamps.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I used the flat clamps on my 3" flowmaster exhaust and they work well. I also have a big block with the turbo 400 with the 4" tail shaft housing and just recieved my gear vendor unit but haven't installed it yet. The h pipe will have to be moved rearward for sure so I would hold off before installing your exhaust system.

Jim & Yvonne
1968 Camaro
468 BBC, Turbo 400, 4.10 12 Bolt.

2010 Camaro SS/RS, Black on Black Leather

2008 GMC Crew Cab 4x4, LMM Duramax, Allison 6 Speed,
6" Cognito Lift, 35" Nitto's
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

When I replaced my old Black Jack aluminized headers with a new set of Dynatech ceramic coated headers, the collectors were of a completely different design, so I ended up cutting the old Black Jack collectors off the front pipes which were welded on and did a butt joint using a stainless steel flat band clamp. The mechanical joint was fine and there was no audible exhaust leak, but there were signs (carbon/soot) of minor exhaust leaks taking place. I cut a couple of short 1" long stub pipes that fit snugly inside the 2.5" front pipe and collector stub that span the butt joint internally and that eliminated the minimal carbon/soot leaks that were visible.

I wish someone manufactured reasonably priced exhaust flanges that could be welded to the end of pipes as an alternative (my H pipe uses these between each of the front pipes), but the band clamps do work well and allow the pipes to later be separated and removed when necessary, for me that is any time the transmission needs to be removed and replaced.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 05:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwolf View Post
Thank you. Did you put any sealant in the joints or is it not necessary.
Carbon seal. No sealant. Say Hi to Sara .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Clamps and Jet hot coat exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Carbon seal. No sealant. Say Hi to Sara .
Hope I dont have too much carbon. I used to work for a diesel manufacture as an engine and generator mechanic and they did form quite the carbon seal. If it leaks now it wont soon.
Ya I dont see Sarah arround town. I see Tod occasionaly but I think they are better left alone to try to live a normal life at home.

Jim (Lead Foot)
I would love to get some measurments on where to place my H pipe. I wont be buying the gear vendor this year and will need to install my exhaust before going in to the body shop for the rest of the work and paint. I cant wait for your report on the gear vendor. Our cars are about the same. I have 3.73 rear gears with 275 60 15 tires.

Thanks for the info on the flat band clamps I will order a set.

Has anyone thought about jet hot coating their entire exhaust? I got a quote for $540.00 to have it done to my flowmaster 3 inch. I wanted stainless but wasnt offered by flowmaster. The exhaust was about 700 I think. Thats getting spendy.

69 X66 72 72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode