Header help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Satatic
Header help

I been dealing with an exhaust leak forever. I tried new copper gaskets and instead of having 2 cylinders leaking it became 4. Well I finally figured out that the problem is the headers.

I have a 454 in there with 781 heads. I been buying square port exhaust gaskets because the exhaust ports are square. So today I take the headers loose and hold up my new copper gaskets to the head and they fit like a glove. On the header it is no good. Can see daylight on the bottom while holding the gaskets up to them on # 5,6,7,and 8.. I have the hooker 2457 headers. They appear to be a roundish port design.

So what I am trying to figure out is if I should try round port header gaskets, but would that make my performance suffer because it would block flow. Or should i look for new headers? If so should i go with the hooker 2455 or will there be fit issues? On the summit website it does not have 68 camaro listed for that header.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Header help

Buy a set of Percy's dead soft aluminum gaskets for D shaped ports. They work great ! Your copper gaskets should work though. Do you have a picture of the gasket on the headers ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Header help

Here are the old aluminum ones that blew out.

You can see how they made contact at the top but barely anything at the bottom.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Wow ! Those headers are just plain wrong ! If you wanted to attempt to fix them, you would have to slot the bolt holes to line them up. What happens if you use the gasket from the other side and face the embossed (raised) portion against the header ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

My bad... the gaskets are the same. I was thinking of a mirror image. (which is wrong)

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I've come up with an idea.

I was thinking of having a friend TIG weld the primary tubes on the outside of the flange and then I could grind and file the raised welded ports on the inside of the flange. That would give me a flat and even surface to mate to the heads. Also this would allow me to port match the flange also.

Would it be possible to TIG weld these with all the contamination on the inside from having them in service for about a year?

From what I remember, I dropped these headers in from the top. The only problem I remember having was the flange hitting the headbolts. So I had to pull them out and grind several times.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 07:56 AM
John

Garage

If the headers are that far off of the exhaust ports they are killing power.

I would buy new headers but if you want to stick with these you may be able to slot the holes in the header flange or fill the holes and drill new holes in the proper location.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

I would send those pictures to Hooker and ask them why they made such a bad header ! You can't be the only one with that problem. Maybe you can get a new set at a discounted price or something.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am just thinking the headers are not for the 781 heads since they are a round port and my heads have a square port.

I'm not opposed to getting a new set of headers. Its just that I spent a long time making the exhaust to connect with those headers. If I get a new set what are the chances that the collectors end up in the same spot?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Your headers look d-shaped or square to me. Hooker should be able to supply you with the same header with the mounting holes in the correct spot.

If you want to fix what you have, lay the gasket on the header as it should be, and mark your new holes and drill them or elongate them !

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 05:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

I had the same problem with some headers on my last 454. I stacked a set of graphite-impregnated facing and a steel-expanded metal core gaskets. Exhaust manifold gaskets on head and header gasket on header. Gasket sandwich worked like a charm no more leaks. You still have to do the heat cycle tighten sequence like any header gasket but once that was done no more leaks. My headers were cheep junk.

69 X66 72 72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode