Need Some Lifter Advice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Need Some Lifter Advice

Hi all. I'm just about buttoned up on the bottom end of my 383 build, and getting ready to measure piston to head clearance. I have hydraulic lifters for the build, but bought a couple of solid lifters to measure the clearance. Te issue is that the solid lifters are about 1/2" shorter than my hydraulic ones. They are the Comp Cams 813-1. This doesn't seem right, but not sure. Are hydraulic and solid lifters typically the same size? Want to be sure that the measurement is accurate.

Thanks.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Need Some Lifter Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
Hi all. I'm just about buttoned up on the bottom end of my 383 build, and getting ready to measure piston to head clearance. I have hydraulic lifters for the build, but bought a couple of solid lifters to measure the clearance. Te issue is that the solid lifters are about 1/2" shorter than my hydraulic ones. They are the Comp Cams 813-1. This doesn't seem right, but not sure. Are hydraulic and solid lifters typically the same size? Want to be sure that the measurement is accurate.

Thanks.
Just purchase a pair of weak hardware store springs that will fit in place of your actually valve spring(s). Use your hydraulic lifters which the weak hardware springs won't collapse and use some Play-Dough on the top of your piston to measure the clearance once you temporarily assemble the heads and turn the crankshaft over enough to move the valves you are checking through one full open/close cycle then disassemble and measure Play-Dough impression if it is even close enough to leave an impression. You don't need a thick lump of Play-Dough, only as thick as the minimum clearance you are aiming for. If no impression, no worries, if an impression is left, measure how thick it is.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks Scott. My heads are already assembled, and thought that picking up a couple of solid lifters would be the easier route from a time perspective. Any recommendations on the correct solid lifters that I should be using? I'm using the Edelbrock 97384 lifters. Is there a similar solid lifter. Wanted to get this done this weekend.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

You can take apart one of your lifters and fill the inside with washers to reassemble the body to the depth of zero lash. Knowing the thread pitch you can calculate how many washers or shims to remove to set the cup of your hydraulic tappet for preload (half turn past zero lash or three quarters turn whichever you prefer). This is where having some brass shim stock and a good selection of fasteners and other hardware on hand comes in handy.

But to me it is still a lot easier to just to swap out a normal valve spring (retaining the cup or shim under it) and to use a checking spring. You can rent a valve spring compressor from the corner auto parts store if you do not own one. Though you can probably buy a Manley 41830 on the head valve spring compressor for about the same price for future work.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Manley/660/41830/10002/-1

You only need one head bolt by the valve you are checking and leave the head gasket off while checking. You just add the compressed head gasket thicknes to the amount of clearance to see if your valves will clear the pistons.

Larger Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 15, 11:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Thought you were checking piston to head clearance? A simple depth mic will work or even the mentioned dough.
Might check at all corner bores, just to see how far you block is to crank center line or did you check all piston decks.
My block was off compared to crank centerline as well as piston decks. Had to correct those decks , by going to a 0 piston deck. Raised compression some. Didn't have to 0 deck but might as well do this right.

Sounds like you are also checking piston to valve clearance also. Clay method can be used here if you don't have proper tools.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 15, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Thought you were checking piston to head clearance? A simple depth mic will work or even the mentioned dough.
Might check at all corner bores, just to see how far you block is to crank center line or did you check all piston decks.
My block was off compared to crank centerline as well as piston decks. Had to correct those decks , by going to a 0 piston deck. Raised compression some. Didn't have to 0 deck but might as well do this right.

Sounds like you are also checking piston to valve clearance also. Clay method can be used here if you don't have proper tools.
Don, yes, I thought one thing and typed another. I'm measuring valve to piston clearance. I purchased a couple of solid lifters for the test, but the solid is a bit shorter than the hydraulic. When I measure both lifters, solid vs. hydraulic, I'm coming up with roughly a 1/8" difference from where the pushrod sits, and that's taking into account the recessed differences inside the lifter at the cup.

I am using Edelbrock pushrods and rockers, and I don't have an adjustable pushrod to substitute. Am I able to take the measurement with the solid lifter and Edelbrock pushrod, then just subtract that from the overall clearance in order to make up for the shorter lifter?

Thanks.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 15, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Chaz

I would disassebmle a hydraulic lifter of the same type and convert it to a solid by shimming up the inside with washers as previously mentioned. You will also need an adjustable push rod length checker.

You need to color the top of your valve stem with a magic marker or similar permanent ink. With the make shift solid lifter place it in cylinder #1 lifter valley and adjust your valve to zero lash. Rotate the motor 2 revolutions and see where the ink on the valve stem is wearing out. Continue this process until you are only removing the ink in the exact center of the valve stem. This will prevent premature wear.

This is the easiest way to do it if you don't want to dismantle the valve springs and put a light weight spring in there as Dave said.

68 Camaro

Some mods...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode