Engine Expert Opinions Please - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garry

I pulled my 302 mainly for cleaning. I decided to have it freshened up while it was down. After looking at it I am not sure it really needs anything. Look at the pictures and give me some opinions. What should I check? I don't need to send any money that is not needed if you know what I mean.
Thanks!

'69 Z/28 Garnet Red
'66 Chevy II Nova SS L79 (project)
'68 Z/28 Matador red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
check the cylinder pressures and do a leak down test. This will give you an idea if the heads need some work. If they do, when/ if you pull em off, check the ridge on the top of the cylinder walls and the walls for scuffing. If the ridges are too bad or scratches on the cylinder walls, then its time for a rebore/ rebuild.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 03:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

no one in an hour and a half? ok, I'll play.

It's looking kinda old, inside and out. The lifter valley is sludged up, some but not all the exhaust valve are dark, and at least one intake is pretty gunked up.

I'd do at least a valve job, I think. How was it running? Too bad you didn't do a compression check before tearing it down, that would tell a lot. If it hasn't been using oilor smoking, and didn't have a lot of blowby, leave it be, but it kinda looks like the answer to both might be yes.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Guess I should've looked at the last page. Looks like plugs on rear are on last leg, valves suggest things are amiss either on guides or on rings. Lifter valley suggest a good dip is in order as its likely in the distributor wells too. Might as well bite the bullet and get her all reworked.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garry

Thanks guys, going to take it to the machine shop tomorrow.

'69 Z/28 Garnet Red
'68 Z/28 Matador red

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 02:54 AM

Smile

That's a good shot of a dirty intake valve factory plunge cut used to unshroud the big valve heads if you look close..

pdq67

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garry

Took it to my motor guy today. We decided to totally rebuild the heads, new valves, springs, etc. The short block looks pretty good. We are going to check the balance on the crank, may put new rings in. I have retainer on one of the lifters that had come off,I may just put in a new cam and lifters. also a new timing chain.And to think, all I wanted to do was get the grease off.

'69 Z/28 Garnet Red
'68 Z/28 Matador red

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
The snowball effect is occurring. Might as well hone the cylinder walls, add new rings, bearings, oil pump, and t/chain w/sprockets along with the new camshaft and lifters.

Don't forget the tune-up kit and two sets of oil changes, the first set for cam break-in and block cleaning, the second set for the next 500 miles.

Snowball is getting bigger.......

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

In my opinion the best way to tell would have been by doing a compression test and a leak down test while this engine was still together. Now that it is apart you might as well do it right and rebuild the engine. Let the machine shop tell you exactly what it needs based on how it measures out.

There is one cylinder in this photo http://client.webshots.com/photo/229...45131078ZBYokk that shows wet and oily. IMO you will probably wind up doing rings on that cylinder so you might as well do them all.

Sorry guy, but its time to get out that credit card and do it right while you have it out and apart. This engine needs more than a quick clean up.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 04:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

We need an animated snowball graemlin.... rolling and geting bigger... & bigger, & bigger...hehe

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garry

I'm not going to cut any corners on this car. I am pulling the sub frame tonight. The car is 90% original, the body and paint is very good, interior excellent. Might as well get under the hood and the bottom to match.That snowball is getting harder to push [img]smile.gif[/img]

'69 Z/28 Garnet Red
'68 Z/28 Matador red

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garry

Here is what we are doing,
rings, bearings, valves and springs, timing chain, check balance on the crank. He says the block, crank, and cam are in perfect condition. I will have the rebuilt subframe in it by tomorrow and hope to finish it up by next weekend.

'69 Z/28 Garnet Red
'68 Z/28 Matador red

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode