69 Camaro exhaust, need feedback!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 02, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Hello,
Looking for some feedback on what is the best way to go for an exhaust system on my Z/28. Getting ready to pull what looks to be the original exhaust (dual with one muffler in front of the rear end) and install chambered or turbos or flowmaster or whatever. I just want to hear that cam and want it to sound GOOD!! Loud is fine with me. My first inclination is to go with the 2 1/4 chambered but I've heard they can have a "glass pack" sound and I don't want that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 03:40 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Doug, what is wrong with a glasspack sound? I hear people say that from time to time but I do not have any idea what they are talking about. I have the chambered pipes hooked up to headers and they sound fine to me. Not exactly loud unless you get on it. They are restrictive and a power robber so keep that in mind if it matters to you. The chambered pipes create a "correct" sound. Aftermarket systems create thier own unique sound. Some peolple like apples, some like oranges.

If I were not building a stock resto car, I would have used the Dynomax mufflers. Quiet and powerfull.

-Mark.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech

If you can stand the noise, Flowmaster has a good complete system for a Camaro. It's called the American Thunder series. It comes with two Delta Flow mufflers, in line "H" pipe, all hangers and brackets needed to install the system, and runs all the way out the back with two polished tips. Mine fit very well and was no problem to install myself at home on the ground. I bought my kit through Summit but can't remeber exactly what it cost.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 05:04 AM

I bought the same kit that Bedanobub mentioned from Summit at around $320. It fits great and sounds fantastic. If I were to buy another 1st gen I would put the same kit on that one too.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 07:35 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Chambered Exhaust sound file:
http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/camarosschambered.html

Keep in mind the type of engine, and even camshaft you use will affect the sound. Mine, 350/300HP, isn't quite as deep as this big block clip.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Thanks for the replies. I know chambered rob horsepower and as my car is a 02C build date chambered were not originally on the car. Guess I have to decide on originality or something like the system that is mentioned above from Summit. Two positive recommendations, got to think about that one!! Stingr69, I don't know how to describe a "glasspack" sound but it's the noise the exhaust pipes make when you let off the gas and you have glass packs for mufflers. The more I think about it it goes way back with me and the sound a single glasspack makes when you let off the gas and it's behind a 6 cylinder!! It's just a sound that I just personally don't care for. Chambered may not sound like that at all, but I have been told that by more than one person.
Mark C. Great sound file. That was fun.
Thanks again,

Doug
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 04:20 PM

He, He!!! I love them "Cop-calling" dual glasspacks!!! pdq67

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 06:35 PM
Tech Team

Had dual glass packs and got rid of the whole system for the american thunder system. Didn't take much time and now I'm not a redneck (no offense jacked up truck owners)
hehe
jeff
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 02, 05:34 AM
Tech Team

Mine is 3 from the headers with a H pipe feeding a set of Flowmasters with their 2 tailpipes bobbed off just below the fender. Fairly quiet behind a 396 with a flat tappet camshaft and a 4 speed. But what do I know; Im 60 years old and cant hear anyways. Good luck.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 02, 11:38 AM

I have SpinTech Sportsman XL mufflers with a 2.5" x-pipe and 2.5" pipes out the back. At first they were as loud as my previous Noisemasters. After about 500 miles they "sooted" up and are now really quite while cruising. However, under hard excelleration they give a nice aggressive tone. I recommend this system.

------------------
Joseph

1969 Camaro
404 SB w/ 10.3:1 Eagle 4340 assembly in Dart Little-M block, AFR 210's, Crower #00350 short track solid cam 238/244 @ .050" on a 107 lobe center and .530" lift w/ 1.6 rockers, Holley 750 vac sec, Victor Jr., custom 1.75" headers, Spintech 2.5" exhaust with x-pipe and Sportsman XL mufflers, T-56, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch and billet flywheel, Guldstrand Mod., Landrum 600# front springs and adjustable spacers, Hotchkis 1.125" front bar, Detroit Eaton 175# rear springs, Bilstien shocks.
1971 Ford Bronco
Stock 302, 4" rock crawler suspension lift, 1.5" body lift, NP435 tranny, 4.11 gears, Detroit Locker rear diff., Power-Lock limited slip front diff., 33" BFG MudTerrain tires.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 03:57 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Z28Doug, the chambered exhaust was still available as an option until the end of April 69 I believe. Your car would be correct with a chambered system on it. Did you listen to the stock deep tone Z28 exhaust on the Gardner web site? It sounds really good. I'll be going with a 2-1/2" exhaust on my car since I'm going to be running the crossram, 140 cam and 1-3/4" headers. I found a place that makes a custom 2-1/2" chambered system so it will look "correct" but still be able to flow properly.

------------------
Jeff H - Hugger Orange 69 Z28, original factory JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, Stahl headers, Minilite wheels - being restored - 87 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 03:00 PM
Tech Team

I just installed a Spintech system and I love it...great mellow sound without resonance and it has a nice growl to it at higher RPMs. Includes a Dr. Gas "X" pipe. Lauren and Ron at Spintech are great guys... I ordered my system on a Wednesday and it was custom-built and on my doorstep the following Thursday. Pictures of it are at my Webshots page, below.

------------------
Photos of my 1969 Camaro project car:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rswhite
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 05:53 PM
Kevin

Jeff, does the place you found do regular exhausts? I would really like to put the original style dual exhaust on my 327 car (not 2 turbo mufflers). I'm almost ready to order it (2 1/4 aluminized) from Rick's, but I wonder if anyone has run it. Does it sound good or is it stock quiet?

Kevin
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 02, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I think he has the stock exhaust system. Are you looking for 2-1/4 or 2-1/2? I haven't bought the system yet since that's one of the last things I'll be worried about.

------------------
Jeff H - Hugger Orange 69 Z28, original factory JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, Stahl headers, Minilite wheels - being restored - 87 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 03:09 AM
Kevin

Jeff, thanks, please give me the contact info and I will give them a call. Thanks, Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode