Breaking in New Rings? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

When assembling a new motor, I've always used liberal amounts of engine oil on the cylinders and new rings. Recently, I read that this can actually slow down ring seating and the alternate recommendation was to use only a light coating of WD-40. The article said this would cause the rings to seat almost instantly (no doubt!) and that oil splash would lubricate everything just fine as soon as the motor is running.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone use the WD-40 method?

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 05:43 PM

Smile

You mean the old can of Ajax or Comet isn't the way to do it?? Just Kidding!! pdq67

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Scott,

Again I use Marvel Mystery oil on the pistons for assembly and I use it on all machined surfaces to prevent rust between cleaning and assembly. WD-40 (water displaceing film #40) is just a thin (very thin) film and cannot lubricate for very long and take any pressure applied against it (That's why I only use it on squeaky household door hinges). You should use a lite weight engine oil or trans fluid at a minimum for all parts in an engine. I use Moly-B grease for my assembly lube in bearings,cam,lifters,etc. and change my filter and oil after 20 minutes. 16 Motors and no problems with this practice.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 07:17 PM
David Pozzi

I lube the rings with motor oil when installing the pistons I don't add any more oil than that.

I take care to spin the oil pump with a drill for a while to pre lube the engine so when it starts up there is oil pressure right away.

I also have my timing light connected and the carb screw turned in a couple of turns to keep the engine running at 2000 rpm's for at least a half hour.

I don't drive it until I have an hour on the engine, all above 1500 rpm's.

I've been told and read Molly rings seat within a couple of minutes.
The cam is the big worry and reason to keep the engine reved up a bit to lubricate it.

It's interesting the target master and other engines from chevy I have opened up are pretty dry inside. It looks like they use a small amount of oil to install parts and prevent corrosion but not much oil is there.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 08:10 AM
Bill

Scott,
There are as many different methods as there are engine builders. Personally, I wipe down the cylinders with ATF just before assembly, then put just a light coating of oil on the pistons and rings, just enough to keep them from scuffing.
We went to a piston ring seminar that was put on by Hastings about a year ago and thier engineer basically said that the most important thing was the cylinder wall finish. He said that if the cylinders are finished properly, you could coat the pistons and rings with STP and they would still seat in properly and quickly. The other important thing was to get a load on the motor as soon as possible after starting it. This is why I cringe when we do a motor for someone and find out that they are putting it in a car that is not really driveable due to an ongoing restoration etc. When we install a motor in a car at the shop, we get everything set as close as possible before starting the car, fill all the fluids etc. Then I start it and let it run long enough for the thermostat to open, set the timing, check for leaks and out the door I go for a 20 mile test drive. I personally think the worse situation is starting the car and running the motor without driving it. Without a load to exert some pressure on the rings, they will take longer to seat in properly.
Automotive Rebuilder magazine had an excellent article on pistons and rings in the November 2000 issue...it should be available to view on thier web site www.automotiverebuilder.com
It is good reading on the subject.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 09:28 AM
David Pozzi

Thanks Bill,
Looks like a nice magazine.
I also found the Hastings site with a lot of info. http://www.hastingsmfg.com/service_tips.htm

I also found a lot of info pertaining to aircraft engines, but they have different composition cylinder liners with crome and even ceramic in their cylinder walls.

However the aircraft break in recomendation is similar to the Hastings recomendation.
http://www.8ballfc.org/dontbaby1.htm http://www.mattituck.com/new/articles/engbrkin.htm
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 01-01-2001).]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 09:51 AM
Bill

Dave,
YOu must have changed your post while I was looking at the Automotive Rebuilder web site to make sure it was working. If you "search back issues" use "pistons" for the search word and search "automotive rebuilder" the article I was referring to is the first one listed.
Bill

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the responses - I was a little leery of the WD-40 approach.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech

I have always broken mine in with a little bit of two stroke oil added to the fuel. I figure, every little bit has to help.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Several engine builders here in Dallas I have talked to recommend a light coating of ATF.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 12/17/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 12:31 PM
David Pozzi

Bill,
Yes, I changed it after I got it to work.
At first I tried it several times and it would not do anything.

So I posted it wasn't working, then when I returned and tried it again, it worked!
Good info,
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode