305 HO heads on a 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 15, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

305 HO heads on a 350

Hey everyone, thought I'd brag a little bit about my success with my 'cheap street' 350 combo. I'm quite pleased with my engine, and especially the fact that I put it together for not much money.

mid-1980's 350 block, 4 bolt main casting number 14010207, standard bore, stock dished pistons, honed with new rings, new bearings & oil pump

heads are -413 castings, from a 305 HO. 58cc chambers, 1.84/1.50 valves, I went through them myself, lapped the valves, installed new oil seals

cam is a 268H re-grind from Delta Camshaft, 220 duration @ .050, .450 valve lift, 110 LSA

performer intake, Quadrajet carb, stock distributor with pertronix module. No-name headers through 2.5" dual exhaust

I am impressed by the low end torque and throttle response of this combo. I have only had it out for a quick test drive so far, but it is very responsive and really lights up the tires easily.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed

Last edited by kookykrispy; Apr 28th, 15 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 15, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 305 HO heads on a 350

Yep, you basically increased the compression and gained some low end torque. Many dirt track racers do the same, but add flat top pistons and larger valves. They are a fun engine for a while... until the lower end parts don't like the compression ! JMHO

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 15, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: 305 HO heads on a 350

I built this combo with 'fun to drive' and streetability in mind. I wanted very crisp throttle response and alot of torque, which is exactly what is going on here. It works well, even with my car's current 3.08 gears. With the stock mid 80's dished pistons + the small chamber of the 305 heads, I figure its probably around 9:1 or 9.5:1 compression. It runs fine on 92 octane. initial timing is set at 11 btdc.

I followed tips in this old HotRod magazine article and 'chamfered' the edge of the combustion chamber on the 305 heads, shaping them to work with the larger bore of the 350, to eliminate possible pre-ignition hot spots. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-small-blocks/

I read nearly everything I could find on using 305 heads on a 350. It seems the best 305 heads to use are the "HO" heads, which are the -413 castings. These were found on mid 80's TPI engines in IROC camaros and Trans Am, and also on Monte Carlo SS 305 engines. The "HO" 305 heads have 1.84" larger intake valves, whereas the normal 305 heads have 1.7" valves

Would like to hear from anyone else running 305 heads, or any other low-buck combos.

I'm a broke college student, so it was important to keep my $$ investment minimal for this engine. Most parts came from craigslist or the junkyard. Just goes to show that if you scrounge you can put together a stout street combo for not much $$!!

Used parts:

350 short block: $75 craigslist
305 heads: $20 craigslist
headers: $40 craigslist
intake & carb: $50 @ pick n pull
dual exhaust: $40 @ pick n pull
valve covers: $10 @ pick n pull
hi-flow water pump: $50 @ eBay

new parts I had to buy:

gasket set
oil pan
dipstick & tube
rings & bearings
oil pump
180 degree thermostat
pertronix module
accel header plugs
cam/lifters/timing set
valve stem seals

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed

Last edited by kookykrispy; Apr 28th, 15 at 10:38 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 15, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

here's a couple pics of my 350:

Another cool low-buck trick I used was black BBQ paint from home depot on the headers (works great!). I hung the headers from my engine hoist and then used my oxy-acetylene torch to flame-cure the paint. The result is good so far. Headers look great and the paint is tough and is holding up well.

'68 350 4 speed
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 15, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Just needed to make a correction. The 305HO casting is -416

I doublechecked my heads

'68 350 4 speed
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 15, 07:02 PM
John

Back in the day when I had more kids in the house than money, I would use 305 heads to do a budget build on a 350. It was a short cut to higher compression, so you could run a little wilder camshaft. With a little porting, they ran good enough for some street racing and mild strip duty, especially in a light car, such as the '79 Monza I was running at that time. Of course that was during an era that didn't have stock cars coming off the showroom floors with 300+ horse power. I still fondly look back on how us poor boys built fast cars and kept food on the table when we were younger.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 15, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Luttrell View Post
Back in the day when I had more kids in the house than money, I would use 305 heads to do a budget build on a 350. It was a short cut to higher compression, so you could run a little wilder camshaft. With a little porting, they ran good enough for some street racing and mild strip duty, especially in a light car, such as the '79 Monza I was running at that time. Of course that was during an era that didn't have stock cars coming off the showroom floors with 300+ horse power. I still fondly look back on how us poor boys built fast cars and kept food on the table when we were younger.
I guess my 'back in the day' is today! im a single divorced dad & college student on a low budget, still managing to build a fast street car!

'68 350 4 speed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 09:59 AM
Senior Tech
John

I love these budget builds! I did a lot of this shoestring-budget stuff in my younger days because I couldn't afford to "play" any other way. Got lucky with a few that ran really well and lasted a long time in daily driver duty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode