What is the difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I know that this may seem like a very stupid question, but as many of you already know, I am not a mechanic and beyond basic tune-ups, my knowledge of motors is somewhat limited.

Can anyone explain this to me?

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 03:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Angry

This people know better english than me, so I'll let them explain. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech

My wife thinks it's a sex thing....

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Did that link help, Garfield?

All engine require "intake" "Compression" "power" & "exhaust"

Basically, a 4 stroke requires 2 complete revolutions of the engine to produce 1 ignition and power stroke. Each "cycle" above gets ~180 degrees of crank rotation.

In a 2 stroke, compression sorta happens in the crankcase. The fuel/air mix is actually working both above and below the piston. Thats why you hafta mix oil with your fuel. Intake and exhaust happen simultaneously, and the plug fires every time the piston reaches the top of the cylinder.

2 strokes have the potential of producing way more power than 4 strokes (all else being equal) but they also dump a lot of unburned fuel out the exhaust, and when "tuned" for max power, typically operate in a very narrow rpm range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 07:22 AM

Smile

Unless they are Gimmy Diesel type motors that are super/turbocharged!! They are built more like a 4-stroke motors, but operate on the 2-stroke cycle...

They have four valves per cylinder and intake ports down at the bottom of the cylinder so that the super/turbocharger can purge the exhaust out the valves before she fires direct injection at about top dead center.

They are big heavy monster motors that are used in Big-Rig trucks and not small like the regular, "weed-eater/boat-motor", 2-strokes!!

pdq67

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wink

This info you guys all provided helped me understand a lot better than I did before..Thanks everyone [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Now look at the rotory engine and see if you are confused. This thing is an awsome piece of engineering. Only three moving pieces, the two rotors and the esentric shaft.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

For me, growing up riding motocross, there's nothing like the smell of a properly running 2-stroke motorcycle exahust. Weedeaters and chainsaws don't count.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 04:27 PM

Angry

He, He!! An old AT, DT or RT-1 Yammmmi-hammer was music ta the two stroke guys as was a the Ossa Stilleto!

And don't forget the Ace and Super Rat little bikes.. And the Suzuki X-6 Hustler, too...

And onna hardest running ones going for the time was the 500 Kow triple. The old RD-350 and 400 were fast too..

I know I've left out a bunch of them too.....

They got killed off b/c of the Clean Air Act of 1972...

pdq67

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 06:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by pdq67:
The old RD-350 and 400 were fast too...
They got killed off b/c of the Clean Air Act of 1972...

pdq67
They sure were fast, but they kept selling them 'til 79, I had an RD400 like this one, but in gold color. web page

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 05, 06:36 AM

Smile

Like I said, the CAA of 1972 killed them off!! Took a while BUT they are ALL gone, none-the-less!!

And the latest amendment to the CAA Amendment of 1990 will kill off what's left of the 2-stroke motors if not mistaken.

Notice you can now buy 4-stroke weed-eaters???

BUT it's really funny that by EPA definition, a Diesel/Electric configured vehicle is not a "hybrid vehicle" like a Honda insight or Toyota Prius??

Probably b/c a diesel/electric hybrid just might get a 100 mpg running in steady state rpm conditions driving down the road using a variable transmission like they have out now!!

And after Cali. gets through going over the new Particulate Matter 2.5, (PM2.5 NAAQS air quality standard), small diesels just may disappear too!!

pdq67

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 05, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally posted by pdq67:
Notice you can now buy 4-stroke weed-eaters???
pdq67
and you can get 4 cycle lawn mowers, and 4 cycle outboard motors, and pretty much everything else !!

I remember my Dad bought one of them "new" 4 stroke Honda outboards when they first came out in the early 80's. It was a 10 horse and weighed at least twice what the old 2 stroke 9.9 Johnson did. Didn't rev like the Johnson either . . .

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 05, 04:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm gonna miss the 2 stroke snowmobiles... Ani't never heard nuttin that sounded like the polaris 600 triple I used to have, at 8000 rpm!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 05, 02:53 AM

Unhappy

Same way with the old 500 Kow triple at speed..

pdq67

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 05, 04:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Oh my, don't even remind me of those... buddy had the 750, quickest bike I ever road, including another buddy's KZ1000 w/ turbocharger, 6" slick, and wheelie bars!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode