433 Small Block-Recommendations? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

I had planned to rering/new bearings on my existing 400 small block chevy, but at the machine shop-nice crack in the lifter valley was located. Bummer, as it only had about 7000 miles on it.

I have another block, but think moving up to a forged rotating assembly may be better move at this point. The old assembly was OEM 400 with forged pistons.

Scat offers a reasonable 4 inch 4340 crank and H beam rods. Not sure what pistons are included nor compression.

Haven't bought the heads, but they will be AFR 210's.

Use will be street car with EFI-tremec, 4.10, and small nitrous.

Any negatives with going with a stroker in a 400 block? Do the oil support rings leak abnormally high levels of oil? Will I hit coolant jackets when grinding the crank clearance?

433 would be neat, but simple 406 would be nice too....or even one that runs period... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

1969 Nova SS 350
EFI 407/TKO600/4.11
11.43 at 121 MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 06:04 PM

there is always a chance of grinding into the water jackets. my oppion (for what it's worth) is to go with an aftermarket block if at all possible... the reason being that the stock 400 blocks are not all that strong. about 500hp is all they can stand plus the added stress of nitrous i think your just going to shorten the lifespan of a fairly expensive investment. just my 2cents
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

if you do go the stock block route, i'd reccomend half filling the block with block fill. this makes the bottom end more ridgid and takes some of the water jacket fears away. an aftermarket block is definately the ticket though with larger than normal cubes, imo, if cash is not an issue. i'd do it, my next motor will be a 427+ small block as well, but my 406 is still serving well. it depends on what you want out of it, a 406 can make plenty of horsepower as well. i like your head choice, and scat i believe offers srp pistons in thier kits, which i highly reccomend. good luck with it at any rate [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 11:52 PM

All things considered, I'd have to recommend an aftermarket block with anything over 406 or 408, especially with nitrous.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Dart Little M....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Jeez! You guys are convincing me to chintz out... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have yet to hear for sure, but my OEM crank should be good along with my 5.565 rods and Speed Pro 2256 pistons. I like the pistons as they are 12.5 dish which will give me 10.4 to 1 with the 67 cc AFR 210 heads that are readily available.

I just figured if I'm going to invest machine work in a virgin block to no do it to my used rotating assembly (less than 7000 miles).

Aftermarket block isn't a player for my plan so...

Thanks for the inputs really. I'm going to have mucho fun with it whether it is a 406 or a 433.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 01:34 PM

i would at least use a 5.7 rod the shorter rod will shorten the ring life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode