1968 302 sbc - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Glenn Gatch

1968 302 sbc

Hey guys. I recently bought a short block from a guy who says it was a 302 sbc out of a 68 Camaro. I looked up the casting number and that cast number show up as a 302 but it also shows that it could be a 350. I hear that original 302 engines are hard to come by a wanted to make sure what I really have. I've got a 350 also and can see several differences in the two blocks but would like to know for sure whether it is a real and original 302 block. The cast number is 3914678 and the engine code is V0206YW. I was able to decipher part of the engine code which tells me it was built in Flint, Mich on February the 6th but can't find the suffix code "YW". It is a two bolt main block. Can anybody help me with this. What are the things that would tell me that this is an original 302 out of a 68. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: 1968 302 sbc

Glenn I believe YW was used in 1966 truck applications as a 327ci 185hp. However that is a 68 block casting number, don't think it was used in 66. Sure it's not YV? Can you find a block casting date at the rear, by the bellhousing mounting flange near the distributor hole? That should confirm when it was cast. But it appears you've been misled, at least insofar as the block was not originally assembled as a '68 302.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: 1968 302 sbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
But it appears you've been misled, at least insofar as the block was not originally assembled as a '68 302.
An original '68 302 would've been stamped MO, so it may be a 302 now, but it wasn't originally. Which crankshaft does it have in it? You can drop the oil pan and see the casting number. If you aren't going to take it apart, post a picture of the rear crankshaft flange if you can.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
302 cid, 302 dz mo, 302 z28 lt1 judging, 302 z28 z/28 mo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode