ZZ4 compared to other 350s - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I've read so much about the ZZ4, LT1, LT4, GEN I/II/III SBCs lately. And am confused. What is the difference between the ZZ4 (other than roller cam, one piece rr main seal) compared to the traditional SBC. Are the parts interchangeable? Is the ZZ4 the same as the LT1, LT4 engine series? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I'm gonna take a stab at this, because I had the same questions awhile back.

The ZZ4 is basically a traditional small block with a one piece rear main seal. It is also set up to run a factory hydraulic roller cam. It has the tapped bosses in the lifter galley for the lifter hold down mechanism, and the front of the block is machined for the camshaft retention plate, which keeps the roller cam from walking out the front of the block. As to parts interchangability, you must use a crankshaft designed for use in the one piece rear seal block, and the flywheel/flexplate that is designed for that crank. I think that is the major restriction. You can use a regular flat tappet camshaft, and you can bolt on any of the standard SBC heads, intakes, distributors, fuel pumps, oil pan, timing cover, etc.

The LT1 is considered to be the GenII small block. The major differences are that the cylinder heads are set up for reverse flow cooling, meaning that the coolant from the radiator goes from the pump to the heads first, which allows for higher compression without detonation. Standard SBC heads wont work on this block, nor will LT1 heads work on a standard SBC block. Another difference is the water pump, which is driven by the cam sprocket (I think!) instead of by a v belt. This is the part I'm not sure of...but I think the Lt1 did away with the distributor through the rear of the intake manifold and somehow has it running off the front of the crankshaft. I'm sure someone else will elaborate. I think the LT4 was a higher HP version of the LT1.

The LS1 is a beast unto itself - no real similarities to the old small block (except I think i read that the bore centers are the same).

If I messed any of this up, somebody PLEASE correct me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech

in the LT-series engines (LT1, LT4 and the tiny 4.3 L99 in B bodies) the distributor is run directly off the front of the camshaft by a slightly longer cam gear dowel pin, and the water pump is driven by a gear that runs off the cam gear. quite a clean design. and there are a few people that have put the LT1 heads onto an old school small block, and old heads on an LT1, but it really seems like a lot of work.
the ZZ4 uses the rotating assembly from the LT4- crank, rods, pistons,- in a block that is essentially a 96-up 5.7 vortec truck block with a fuel pump boss cast into it, with old tech 80's Vette L98 heads on it with LT4 valve springs. if you got the dough, the Fast Burn 385 would seem like a better buy than the ZZ4, as it has the same short block but with the Fast burn heads. swap in a HOT cam and roller rockers, and you got the mighty ZZ430 with 430 HP and a nice, flat torque curve.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode