Oval ports vs. rect ports, which is better ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Just curious, in a 454 .60 over with 10.5 to 1 forged pistons, hydraulic roller setup, 4.10 rear, 4 speed, Edelbrock performer RPM, Holley 850.
In the above, what difference would it make using cast iron rectangluar port heads as opposed to oval ports? When should either or the two be used ?
Pros and Cons of each ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 04:58 PM

Smile

Please do a search here and over at Team Chevelle b/c there is more at both places then you probably have time to read!!!

And I have read almost all of the stuff myself... pdq67

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech

With a 468 and 4.10s in a Camaro I would use big ports. Just remember a Chevelle is a lot heavier car and can actually use the low speed torque.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech

Oval ports have sharp acceleration and more torque Squares do have a place though....on a Camaro that sprays or has been lighten or turns 6500+ like a 427. Chevelles are heavier but a full dressed Camaro ain't all that far behind to justify the squares over the ovals, especiallay street/strip rides. Ovals have more air speed kinda like a garden hose with your finger on it vs. no finger. They only restict above 6500-6700 unless fully ported!! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

<BR>
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech
Art

Send a message via Skype™ to Guido67SS
Question from the Riddler,
If square ports are for motors turning over 6500 rpm why did gm put square ports on their 502's with a redline of 5800 rpm and how do they get 502 hp and 502 tq out of the square ports?

Guido

67 Camaro Built with Cubic Money
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 06:27 PM

Cool

I will bite, cam!

The cam is set up so that with the combination they are selling makes matching hp and t numbers AND I will say that if you look at max grunt, matching hp and t numbers WILL give it to you!!!!!

Compare area under the curves below 5250 rpm and you will see what I mean against moving hp up the rpm scale with the corresponding drop in low rpm t as both curves shift rpms sideways...

And I will bet a new Vette that GM not for a minute would ever admit to the fact that up to about a 540 engine big ovals do very well in the STREETABLE RPM RANGE!!!!!!

Therefore I say they over intake ported the hi-po BB's b/c it was a Corporate thing!!

Just like Ford did to the first Boss 302 with what 2.23" intakes and then the second year 2.19" intakes and finally everybody runs what 2.07's or some such alot smaller intake valve??? pdq67

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 09:51 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
Here's a set of Oval ports that fly's:

its a lightweight racecar too.

I have a few other pictures of Fast Oval port cars

Gold 67' Camaro<br />Small Block BSE power in the works.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 03:21 AM
Senior Tech

A 502 has a bigger bore and more stroke to take advantage of the port volume so there for the rpm will be less!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode