350 to 396 change over - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 00, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

I am thinking of changing from a stock 350 oil leaking motor to a 396. 396 is pan to carb, what would I also need to change in order to make this conversion work. Its going into a 69 Camaro. the only thing I think of and I am not to smart on this stuff is the flywheel. And other help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 00, 12:56 PM

Smile

No, the flywheels fine. Probably need big block frame mounts and check if your 350 rubber motor mounts are the same as the big block.

To really do it right, you should put a big block heater in it but thats alota trouble.

Fan shroud, fan clutch and fan, radiator, clutch Z-bar, exhaust system. As you can see there is alttle more than meets the eye as you thought.

I'm going through the same stuff with my bb conversion in my '67. I'm not going to bother with the heater right now but probably will later on. I did have to change to a 454 type flywheel due to my engine being Detroit balanced. I've asked about Griffins Aluminum big block radiator in another recent post.

I'm gonna learn how far off my Z-bar is but it worked fine when I had a 409 in it years ago. Hope this helps. pdq67

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 00, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech

Where are you in Vegas?
Well you will need to change to big block frame mounts, the acessory brackets won't work, the exhaust may need to be changed, ect... i can't remeber everything ( i went from small to big, and back to small) but i'd be willing to help you.
Tyler

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My 68 with LT1 and T56</A>

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Teetoe, nice car! I live at the top of Cheyenne, in the northwest. I also got the option of getting a 400 small block, pan to carb also, out of a 1970's pickup, it does have a rear main seal leak. My worry there is aval. of parts for the engine. In Las Vegas there is not a whole lot of performance shops and the on charleston, pissed me off. So should I stay with rebuilding a 350 or switch to a 396 with 350 hp or go with the 400 unsure of the horse's there I think he said 400 hp. And if I did go with the 400 small do I need to change the motor mounts on that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Get the Check book out it is expensive!

------------------
johnny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech

I'd replace the rear main on the 400. You don't have to change much at all if you stay small block.
Let me guess- National Performance pissed you off eh?
I don't ever deal with them, unless i have to have a part that day. I always use summit or jegs, because they are cheaper.
Tyler

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My 68 with LT1 and T56</A>
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the help with this guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode