Crate recommendation - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Mark

Crate recommendation

I want to get a crate motor for a 79Z28 and would like some recommendations. I have a budget of 4k and have looked at companies like blueprint, year one, and phoenix engines. Have read good and bad with all of these. Looking for 400hp/400ftlb , i also have a company called AES in elk grove IL local to me that also sells a crate. Does anyone have any input on this. I side toward a vortec engine with roller cam/rockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 02:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
Re: Crate recommendation

Crate engines are all the rage right now 9and often tough to beat for the money), but i would recommend talking with a local machine shop, and seeing what they can build for you...

if you can find a reputable shop, i think your goals are very easily do-able locally, and you always have someone to go back to if their is a problem...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 02:12 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

A buddy just bought a ZZ4 and I spec'd a cam for him...real happy so far, drives/runs/pulls great....no track times yet.
Another buddy has a ZZ4 in his Vette, its a weekend toy, never sees the track...he said its "OK".

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 03:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I've had my eye on this one a while from Year One for an 80 Truck I have: https://www.yearone.com/Product/1967-81-camaro/at350pc1
I would definitely go hydraulic roller and this has the specs you are looking for. There is one about $500 cheaper that uses Dart Iron Vortec heads that looks good too. Vortec heads are hard to beat on a basic stock build.

Welcome to TC!

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 03:03 PM
ds1
Senior Tech
Dan

Garage

We build our own. The machine shop charged us $2200 for a shortblock with Mahle coated pistons, file fit ring, Scat forged I beam rods, and steel internal balance crank. It is a 383, with Pro Comp heads and intake. Ran 11.76 last night
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Mark

DS1
What cam dod you go with on that setup and what kind of HP/TQ are you producing. Also what cfm carb are you running
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 06:00 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Crate recommendation

I would go with this crate engine.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...52506/10002/-1

They have 10 different option packages.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Mark, The engine from Year One sounds like a good deal. The Edelbrock E-tec heads are Edelbrocks copy of vortec heads. The price will be hard to beat from the others I have seen. $3500 is a good price for a name brand Aluminum head engine. Now you know this sounds like a remanufactured engine when you see Connecting rods: Powdered metal. These are the rods they used in the LQ4 and LQ9 truck motors. Another hint would be using stamped steel rockers. Who would buy Edelbrock heads and use stamped steel rockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode