Head Bolts - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Question

I am in the process of installing a set of aluminum Edelbrock RPM heads on my 350. I was actually reading the installation instructions and Edelbrock says to use Edelbrock Gasga-cinch or suitable thread sealer, and ARP (the manufacturer of my head bolts) says to use ARP Moly Assembly Lubricant on blind holes and ARP Thread Sealer on water jacket holes. The machine shop I use claimed they use anti-seize. I have used thread sealer with teflon in the past. What do you use? Which way is the best way, if there is one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 06:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I would follow ARP's recommendations. My last 406 I used the teflon paste (first time) and virtually all the lower bolts leaked water. They eventually stopped but it was nerve-racking to say the least. I know I had plenty of sealer and maybe it was a fluke but I won't do it again.

This was also a freshly tanked block so there was no oil to prevent the sealer from getting ahold of the threads (new bolts also).

Jody
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

As jody said use the ARP thread sealer on the head bolts and on the intake bolts (to prevent oil from climbing the threads).

But first you should chase all bolt hole with a bottoming tap and then just prior to installation I spray all of the threads out with Berrymans B-12 carb cleaner to ensure that they are clean and dry.

Never had any leaks using this method.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 08:08 AM

Smile

I have always used "Indian Head" gasket goo and have never had a problem except when cleaning the sicky stuff up. The stuff comes in a little bottle with an applicator that looks like a shoepolish "dauber".IMHO.pdq67

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech

use brake cleaner, carb cleaner leaves a film of lube behind. i would do what ARP say's, IMHO
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 12:14 PM
Tech Team

from the things i've been told, a person should NOT use anti seize on any torqued bolt! anti seize will change the ft/lb specs

scotty out
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 12:49 PM

I have built quite a few motors with aluminum heads and the best thing I have found is felpro gray bolt prep. This is a sealer and a lubricant all in one, so you can use it on all of the head bolts. Never had a leak.

kirk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

If you check the sheet that comes with the ARP bolts they list different torque specs for their sealer compaired to other sealers. The amount of lubrication from the sealer can change the effort required to turn the bolts which will change the amount of bolt stretch.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Bret

I would go with whatever ARP suggests. They are the manufacturer of the hardware and should know what is required to make their fasteners work. The Edelbrock instructions would probably be for someone that is using a replacement fastener that may not come with assembly instructions. Just my $.02!!

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 01, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess what has been bothering me was the fact that when I went to a local parts store and had them look up the heads and the bolts in their catalogs. The book claimed that ARP makes Edelbrock head bolts.
What really irritates me is ordering a part like head bolts only to open the package and then find out you should have bought something else. For the price of the ARP bolts, sealant should come with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode