Engine with low vacuum. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Engine with low vacuum.

I have a 327-210 engine but it has 186 heads on it now, 2.02/1.60 valves. The problem is the engine has low vacuum and the vacuum gauge fluctuates indicating a blown head gasket or leaking valves or weak springs. I did a compression check as well and the readings are as follows:
1-150 2-150
3-150 4-140
5-140 6-0
7-155 8-0

Does this indicate blown head gasket or something else? Maybe I put the head gasket on wrong.

1969 Camaro RS Hugger Orange - Work in Progress - You see rust, I see restoration!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage
Re: Engine with low vacuum.

You need to leak down 6 and 8. Take the spark plug out of each cyliner individually and used compressed air to see where it comes out. Run both rockers off so the valves are not open or put each cyliner on TDC. Absolute zero usually means you have valves hung open or you have a nice sized 'inspection hole' somewhere. Since its 6 and 8 I would probably guess at a head gasket issue or something between the cylinders. Compression elsewhere looks good.

If you just put this engine together make sure you don't have to much lash and have the valves hung open.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Thanks for the quick reply; unfortunately I don't have a compressor, so I'll have to wait until I can have it towed to a mechanic. I guess I can check the valve lash, I adjusted them one full turn after the push rod did not spin. Maybe I can back it off a 1/2 a turn.

1969 Camaro RS Hugger Orange - Work in Progress - You see rust, I see restoration!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 11:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

I've had the pushrods spin with zero lash or properly set hydraulic lifters. I would not do the old spin method it's not fool proof. Set your valves to zero lash (when your push tube dosent go up and down with your fingers) and then run the adjusting screw down 1/2 to 3/4 turn down. This might not fix your problem but since you can't do a leak down test this might save you some money. Might be able to rent a compressor from Home Depot.

69 X66 72 72
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

No spin and then a full turn is probably too tight, especially if the lifters were not pumped up when adjusted. Even though you have compression on the other cylinders it may be too tight on the others also once the lifters pump up.

The last post is what you want. No up and down motion in the pushrod, zero lash, then 1/2 turn. Adjust the opposite rocker when exhaust is opening and then intake closing.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Okay, I started over, readjusted all the valves and turn them only 3/4 turn after the push rod stop spinning by hand. Check the compression again and the readings were as follows:
1-150 2-150
3-150 4-145
5-150 6-145.5
7-155 8-145.5

The vacuum reads a steady 17. It appears #6 & #8 were too tight. Thanks to everyone.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Low vaccuum assuming lave lash correct.. correct and clean PCV valve and no carb / valley cover leaks
1/ If the idle speed and mixture screws are not 1/2 turns out +/- 1/2 a turn.. the secondary butterflies are too far open.
And/ or
2/ idle (not initial) timing to far retarded, espec have a after market cam

If u have a blown head casket,
1/ check the spark plugs u will have one that is 'brand new ' clean and inspection in that pot with piston TDC so can see the top.. that will be clean too.
2/ Have a hydrocarbon/ Cox gas check done on the radiator... using a free check in this country, like a free battery check.. and takes about as long.

If u are reading the vaccuum gauge, and not experienced as to what looking at or done prechecks on the engine Odds are it will be the the secondary butterflies to far open.. in effect a big vaccuum leak.

r something as simple as a couple HT leads around the wrong way or a dieing spark plug.. or if new one has been dropped on the ground while installing

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode